Norwegian Epic Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

Honeymooners, Nice Ship, Bad Food!

Sail Date: June 10, 2012

Overall the cruise was fun, good experience and nice ports to stop at. Don't be afraid to get on a train in Naples and Cannes, you see way more than paying for an excursion. Definitely do an excursion in Rome, we did the Vatican tour had a blast, just only a few minutes to shop which was a bummer. The Pisa excursion is a must, better than Florence but all on what you want to see. Livorno, Naples and Marseille are kind of sketchy not much to see. We were on our honeymoon and first time cruisers in Europe this is a great way to see beautiful places and definitely stay in Barcelona for a few days, the food and city is wonderful!

Pros: The ship was large and new, the ports visited are awesome and a great trip for first time to Europe!

Cons: The food was terrible, there were extra port costs we weren't told until the night before, the staff wasn't as friendly as most cruises we've been on.

Recommends Norwegian Epic? Yes!

The ship was new and beautiful. The layout is great and easy to get around. The decor is pretty and for the most part very clean. For as many people as the ship carries it doesn't seem crowded, just at times and getting on and off the ship is an ease. If you have an early flight home like we did, no worries they started letting people off the ship at 5:30am and we split the cab to the airport with other crusiers about 45 euro to the airport. Also, the ship is so large even in bad water it barely rocked, there is a slight ongoing vibration though and we were in the 13th floor.
We had an inside stateroom, midship, on the 13th floor, this is my first time staying in an inside stateroom, it was nice, a bit small but works for one couple. The ocean view rooms didn't look much larger so we were happy saving money with our choice and were able to stay in Barcelona and Ibiza for a few days with the money we saved with the inside stateroom. The rooms were clean but could have been cleaner, there was streaks on the mirror and the carpet wasn't vacuumed regularly. I liked the setup of having the shower, toilet and sink separate, I didn't feel crammed into one place like on other ships.
The staff was nice, I've been on many cruises and this ship I was least pleased with the staff, there was this cloud of attitude with all the staff it just seemed different from other cruises. Other travelers we befriended said the same thing so it wasn't just us. The dinner staff was slow and a bit rude, I was given a dirty glass at dinner and got attitude when I asked for a new one. No one was willing to go out of their way to make the cruisers happy.
The food was the absolute worst I've ever had on a cruise. My husband and I were highly disappointed! There is 2 main dining rooms, every night they serve the same thing just add maybe one new plate or change it between the 2 dining rooms. I've never been on a ship where the menu isn't completely different every night. Even the ice cream and desserts were bland, we ate lunch at a nice place in port so we weren't too hungry for dinner because the food was so bad. Breakfast was ok, they have an omelet bar and decent selection in the buffet. We like good food so this was disappointing, I was immediately sick from the cruise food dinner 4 out of the 7 days we were on the ship. We did not try any specialty restaurants because we were not happy with the main dining, not worth spending the extra money and the dinner at the Cirque show was terrible. Try and do dinner around 6 or 7 to avoid a long wait.
There is many things to do on the ship, since there is only one day at sea you don't have to worry about finding things to do since the ports are more interesting and when you get back to the ship after dinner you'll want to relax. The Blue Man Group was an awesome show and definitely pay for the Cirque show it was amazing just the food was bad. Pay for the upgraded seating because some of the show with general seating will be hard to see. The jazz club and all clubs are a blast.