Norwegian Epic Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Epic Pros and Cons

Sail Date: February 19, 2011

Traveled As: Family w/young children

The ship is clean and spacious. It has an odd layout, but manageable. Not many places to relax outside. Not enough windows in the main areas to enjoy a view of the ocean.

Pros: The entertainment

Cons: Customer Service

Recommends Norwegian Epic? No.

None of the food thrilled me. There are no midnight buffets or "themed" dinners. All of the desserts were awful and tasted sort of rubbery/been in fridge too long. I didn't finish one dessert the entire trip (and I LOVE dessert).
The customer service is horrible on the ship, with a few exceptions. O'Sheehan's bar/grill had by far the best service, and the freshest food. I was so happy that it was not an upcharge and open 24 hours. We had customer services issues with drinks, wait staff, finding spoons, photography. I could never get anyone to help until I asked to see a supervisor, but there were never any around. The officers that walked around never even acknowledged the guests. Our room steward didn't have our room ready until almost 9:30 two of the nights when I was ready to put my kids to be bed before 9. The crew was no help when I asked where certain things were located; they didn't know their own ship, good thing that there wasn't an emergency! We asked that our daily service charged be removed, and we tipped in cash since we were so upset about the poor service on board. Go to customer service, deck 5 and have the charge removed, saved up almost $350.
We had a family of four with a Family Deluxe Balcony, and it was a little cramped, but it worked out well. The four person Family Deluxe Balconies on deck 13 do NOT have bathtubs, not sure why. The storage was great, and we didn't even use it all! But the phones were out of service for about a day, the tv show reruns were horrible. The same episodes of the same shows 5 days in a row was a bit much. Only one kids channel, but two ESPN channels seems strange for a family cruise. Room service had good food, but don't wait to call once you are actually hungry. It took over an hour one night for food when it was estimated to be 30-45 minutes. My kids were starving by the time that it arrived after we called to find out where it was.
My kids was a lot of fun for my kids when they actually went. The people running the kids program were really fun
Blue Man Group & Cirque Dinner were both amazing! There is actually so much to see & do on the ship that a week wasn't enough to play and relax. I missed a lot of things. The White Hot Adult party was fun, but had to ask that the under 18s be removed since they were passing around beer & not supposed to be there. Finally the staff started checking cards and the under 18s left, but the ship wouldn't on their own until we complained. Nick Slime Time was fun for the kids, but the Nick Breakfast was the same food as the regular buffet. Save your money & do a free meet-n-greet during the week. The Pub Crawl on the first night was a blast as well!
Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
I would vacation here without a cruise. The island is beautiful and not "touristy". The culture and people were wonderful and welcoming. We shopped just outside of the square and got much better deals and bargains.
Don't Miss: South Beach Experience
It is a Cozamel. This a party port, so coming here this time with my kids was strange. The waiters at Carlos & Charlie's were fun, but brought women on the dance floor to rub all over them without sexual harassment charges being brought up against them! I'm no prude, but left the dance floor and went back to sit with my family.
Don't Miss: nothing
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
We did the BioMaya zip lining and it was great! The views were amazing, but the "bag lunch" that it offers is a joke! It was one slice of ham with one slice of cheese and 1/2 sandwich, with a breakfast bar and a bottle of water. Yes, you will be starving when you get back.
Don't Miss: Zip Lining