Norwegian Epic Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Did not live up to the hype!

Sail Date: January 01, 2011

I was really looking forward to this ship for our 10 yr anniversary. Was let down upon immediate arrival, went to O'Sheehan Pub for lunch while the rooms were getting ready. It was so crowded and dark, we felt so closed in. Our food was mediocre, mozz sticks hard and cold, spinach dip was like soup and sandwiches ok. The second we opened the door to our room, it reeked of cigarette smoke. Went to use the toilet and there "brown" spots on the seat and red sticky juice in sink. Since husband is ashmatic, we requested another room but one was not available so an air purifier was brought which helped. Couldn't use balcony though due to smokers on both sides. Decor of buffet appeared outdated with cheap plastic flowers and food was unappealing, a lot of curries and european dishes, oh burgers & hot dogs, too, blah! Liked the fact they had two free dining rooms but did not like that they had the same menu, vey uncreative. Would not mind paying for Teppanyaki and Shanghai but $25 and $15 for restaurants that I have on every corner. Cagney's was a great treat! Went to Taste almost every night and never had bad meal. Cirque du Soliel was great, worth the $$, food was so-so, bit overdone. Blue Man Group, Legends, Howl at the Moon, and Second City good entertainment. Had bowling, arcade games, air hockey, movies in room, all extra!!! No thank you! Sundeck mostly smoking and unavailable unless you get a chair under roof or in the hi-winds where you can't even turn a page of your book! Plus, staff does not adhere to 30 chair hold rule. Lines for slides were not as long as expected and they were a blast! Most staff a little snappy and short. Rooms very tiny and the bathroom situation while spacious was not pleasant. Our room steward was not very attentive. We constantly had dirty glasses and wrappers still laying around after he visited. Finally, on TWO occasions, I collected all the trash around the cabin and put it in the sink! Thankfully, he threw it away. Someone else we met had the same problem! It seemed like I waited on elevators most my time on the ship. Had to take stairs half the time. This was common complaint amongst guests. The ship was also missing a lot of outdoor space. Overall, I was disappointed with the ship. I guess I had higher expectations but after speaking to other guests on the ship, I was not the only one!

Pros: The freestyle cruising, Taste restaurant, Blue Man Group, slides

Cons: Smokiness, additional charges for almost everything, small rooms

Recommends Norwegian Epic? No.

Poor layout on sundeck, not enough space for 4000+ ppl to sunbathe! Need more elevators, outdoor space, decor appeared a little tacky not modern like I expected.
Good amount of dining choices, all speciality restaurants were good, would like more free choices, or make the speciality restaurants less expensive.
Majority of staff were nice not overly but nice. Did come across several snappy staff memebers.
Small, smoky, did not look like a room on a 7 month old ship, stains on carpets, lack of privacy in bathroom
The venues were the best! The activites could have faired a little better. Typical cruise shows would have like to see more variety and more night life!
Did not bring our toddler but he would have enjoyed all the Nickelodeon activities. However, we will never him bring because of all the smokers