An EPIC cruise

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

invalid-33450
Sail Date: January 15, 2011
Because this ship is so large, it takes time to get somewhere. The casino is smack dab in the middle of the ship, so to get from point A to point B on that floor you have to walk through gagging cigarette smoke!! The acoustics in the staterooms on the ship are not the best. The pay restaurants that we visited were very good. Thankfully there is a quiet area for sunbathing, so you can get away from the noise of the pool deck. We were on the 14th floor and it seemed like the elevator had issues stopping on that floor, we frequently had to take the stairs to another floor to catch an elevator. Escalator wasn't working between the lower floors either.

Food was very redundant in the main diningroom. I think that is done to force you to pay for food at the other venues - but the food is very good. I think they just need to "shake" the menu up a bit.

The two main shows, Blue Man and Cirque were great. Sitting for the other shows in the lounges isn't great. Chairs are not all that comfortable, but acceptable - high bar chairs. Was glad that 2nd city only lasted as long as it did. Legends was good, but I think I expected more from it - probably just my own problem

It's brand new, you expect cleanliness. I personally found the ship to be a little too large for my taste. Again, almost impossible to find deck chairs if you wait beyond 9:00am to get any sun. Obtaining deck chairs seems to always be a problem.

Bathroom noise is unacceptable. The hard surfaces along with glass does nothing to minimize bathroom noise. They really need to do something about that. The beds were really comfy. Coffee pot in the room was nice, so I didn't have to call for roomservice every am.
We didn't get in to port until about 11:30am. We did the clear kayak excursion. It was an overcast, windy day. we saw some fish in these double kayaks. I don't think I would do this again. We had the option of snorkeling afterward, but we felt the water was too cold and indeed, we were quite abit more north at this port. We should have snorkeled at the other ports. you know what they say about hind sight
A nice port. We did all the get the free jewelry thing -- after we went to Orient Beach. The beach was nice, water was rough and it was a tad windy, but heh, it wasn't the NE of the US. Locals constantly trying to sell you stuff, and I did break down and got a beautiful beach cover :)
We again did the free jewelry thing here. We visited the "tented" vendor area, got some goodies there. I think the port shopping is better in Charlotte Amalie. We didn't do any excursions here. It is a very long walk to the downtown area, so we paid for taxis both ways. That was a bit annoying. In the past we were tendered. When you get a taxi, they leave you in the taxi and try to maximize their fare, so you sit there awhile while the taxi drivers try to drum up more business. $4 each way per person.

Pros: It was a new ship

Cons: Really too large, smoky casino area.

Recommends Norwegian Epic? Yes!