Norwegian Epic Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

An Epic Let Down

Sail Date: September 25, 2010

It wasn't the worst cruise ever, but with all of the hype I really expected to be "wowed".

We have cruised NCL before and found that the service on this ship was lacking. In the main dining rooms it took at least 15 minutes before someone even took our drink orders (we were the third party seated at 5:30pm) and then it took a ridiculous amount of time to get our food, which was not delicious. We ate breakfast in the dining room one other time, had a similar experience and from then on just made our way to the buffett. There were many times when we were sitting at a high top table in a bar/restaurant and either were not asked if we wanted a drink (an alcoholic drink which they make money off of) or if we did get our first drink, no one came around to ask if we wanted another after that one.

The swimming pools were extremely small (two pools about 20' x 8'), but they did have water slides. There were a lot of hot tubs and it was easy enough to find an empty one.

We loved our stateroom! We got one with a balcony and there was a ton of storage. We even had space left over.

The ship just launched in July, so everything was new and in good working condition.

Seeing Blue Man Group was great and The Second City improv comedy troupe was hilarious. We recommend the Murder Mystery dinner for which you have to pay extra.

The spa, where we normally spend most of our money was not as relaxing as it has been on previous cruises. I really felt a sense of loss about this one. It's the part that I really look forward to; just being able to relax and unwind, forget about everything with quiet, serene space with low lighting, soft music and the smell of lavender in the air. Instead I felt like their spa was a busy intersection. I heard the cruise director make an annoucement about a ping pong tournament while I was getting a hot stone massage.

We have cruised NCL twice before this cruise and we cruised Carnival once. We vowed never to cruise Carnival again, so I really thought that this cruise was going to make us NCL people for life. Now, however, it has left me wanting to see what else is out there. Royal Caribbean, anyone?

Pros: Our stateroom

Cons: The service, the spa

Recommends Norwegian Epic? No.

Stateroom service: perfect. Restaurant/Bar service: horrible.
The quality of the buffett food was higher than on any other cruise I have been on. The main dining rooms were lacking. Our experience at Cagney's (a specialty steakhouse) was not worth the price we paid, but Teppanaki (a specialty hibachi restaurant) was amazing, we went there twice. We didn't try any of the others
It was nice to have 2 great shows, would have liked more.
I would pick the same one again.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
St Maarten is a very poor country so they do not have the infrastructure that we are used to here in the US. We rented scooters and found our way to Mullet's Bay Beach. It has beautifully clear water with white sand beaches. The best part? No one knows about it. You can rent 2 lounge chairs and an umbrella for $15 and their are little shacks there where you can get food. After we left there we went around the rest of the island, but there are no street signs and the roads are poor. We got lost a few times.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
We took a taxi to Magen's Bay Beach. They have everything for rent there like floats, snorkel equipment, chairs etc. It has a lot of people but not enough that you are on top of each other. We had a great time there. I heard that St John was even better, perhaps we will take the ferry over next time.