Norwegian Dream (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Fun- but not like our cruise on Carnival

Sail Date: October 07, 2006

We cruised the Norwegian "Dream". The most positive thing about the ship was our Stateroom and the Stateroom Services. It was a nice room, the nices of all the cruises we've ever been on. Our Stewards kept our room emaculate and made sure I always had ice once they found out that I am addicted to eating ice! They were the best!

Pros: The speed of embarking and disembarking the ship

Cons: The Food & Entertainment

Recommends Norwegian Dream (RETIRED)? No.

The Stateroom Stewards were excellent. The other staff were not very attentive as we had been used to on other cruises. I asked about getting cream for my coffee once at a buffet and the staff member I asked rolled her eyes, walked away and finally came back with cream.
The entertainment was geared toward older passengers I suspect. It was very "country". We were disappointed that there were only a couple of stand-up comedy shows and the comedian was less than entertaining. We entertained ourselves.
The food was the worst we had ever experienced. When we went to the dining room and were seated it took a long time to be greeted and even longer to be served. We even left before dessert twice because we had been there so long and didn't want to wait any longer. The quality of the buffets were comparable to a cheap buffet restaurant you can go to anywhere. That was disappointing.
The ship itself was a bit smaller than we have been on in the past, but we loved that. It was easy to manuver and we liked the "swim-up" bar.
By far, the best thing about the cruise. The room was nice and the stewards were the best we've ever had!
Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
The "Beach Part" excursion was awesome! The guide was great and the beach was beautiful. The food wasn'r the best but the open bar made the food no big deal. What a blast! Shopping was fine but more expensive than Progresso.
Don't Miss: Island Beach Party
Belize City, Belize
We went on the Island Beach Part excursion and the ocean was beautiful! Sadly we had poor weather that day, so it wasn't as enjoyable as it could have been, but I would go on that excursion again when the weather was much nicer because it was beautiful. In the city, the shopping was okay- more expensive than most other ports we've ever been to, but the bar was great. We loved the beer!
Don't Miss: Belezian Beer!
Progreso (Merida), Mexico
The shopping in Progresso was great! The 4X4 excursion we took was no so great. It was cut 2 hrs short and we only had 35 minutes on the beach at the end when we were supposed to have 2 hrs. During the sightseeing portion we were hardly allowed out of the jeep to look at anything because we were "in a hurry" according to our guide. Skip the 4X4 excursion and do something else. This was reported to the staff on board responsible for excursions and I was told they would contact me to find out what happened, but they never did.