Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Bermuda

Great Vacation!

Sail Date: July 01, 2016

I'll start by saying I know there are a lot of bad reviews out there about the Dawn - rude crew, running out of booze, entertainment so-so and lots of problems with the toilets.  I have read a lot of reviews from folks who were on the cruise my husband and I were on - and I have to say I find myself wondering if we were actually on the same ship.

I will say the bathroom issues were real - I don't think as bad as the first cruise post dry-dock, but definitely a thing, specially the ladies room by the Casino.  In fact most of the problems I encountered seemed to be in that section of the ship.

This was our 4th cruise on Norwegian.  After our first cruise on The Majesty back in May of 2005, we have cruised Norwegian, in large part because of the crew.  The crew on the Dawn did not disappoint us.  Everyone we encountered was friendly, smiled in greeting, went out of their way to learn our names and use them whenever they saw us.  I did not encounter one rude crew member be it our room steward, other room stewards, bar tenders, wait staff, etc.  I will agree that there were not enough wait staff on the pool deck.  We sailed on the Majesty twice and used to joke that we had to hide from the wait staff on the pool deck.  There were lines to get drinks at the bars, but they seemed to move quickly.

We thought the food was a lot better this cruise than the cruise we took last year.  We were underwhelmed when we went in May of 2015. They did roll out a new menu on the Dawn, and I think it really showed.   We ate in Cagney's on Sunday night.  My petite fillet mignon was cooked medium rare; my husband's 8 oz was cooked rare - both were perfectly cooked - just on the wrong steak.  They were quickly whisked away, along with our side dishes and remedied quickly.  We also ate at Le Bistro (our favorite), Moderno and La Cuccina. La Cuccina was a bit of a disappointment as there was a large family birthday party going on while we were there - it was hard to hold a normal conversation.   I will note that the food was top notch as was the service.  We also ate in Aqua and the Venetian.

We were very impressed by Soozy the Cruise Director, and her staff.  We never wanted for something to do.

We really enjoyed the shows, and felt that the production company should have had more shows as they were really very good. We loved their Broadway Cabaret - sadly it was in the Bliss Lounge and that was not big enough to accommodate everyone who tried to see the show.  One young man (I wish I had his name) sang "Make Them Hear You" from Ragtime.  He did an amazing job with that.  Gil and Laure were astounding and Second City were really funny.  We did not go to see David DaVinci as we saw him last year, and while I was impressed with him, I was worried that his act probably had not changed much in one year,  Our favorite thing to do for entertainment was to go to Gatsby's to hear Allen and Ariel perform -both are very talented performers (and Ariel really does sound like Frank Sinatra.  Close your eyes when he is doing his tribute set and you won't be able to tell the difference).

We did two wine tastings at The Cellar with Ricardo.  Very informative and fun.  We connected with some great people.  Well worth the $20/pp fee.

Our cabin was on the 8th deck - not too far from O'Sheehans.   I have read quite a few unfavorable comments about the service.  Again, we had only attentive wait staff.  Anyway, our cabin was adequate - our beds were made into a queen bed (actually felt bigger) and that took up most of the space.  Once we figured out how to navigate around it to actually get into the bed, it wasn't bad. :-)

The ship looked a lot nicer post dry-dock - more subtle, sophisticated colors.

This was the very first vacation we have ever taken just the two of us, and it was the best vacation ever.  We love Norwegian and put down a deposit on a future cruise before we left the ship. Big Smile

Cruise Photos

The cabin was on the smaller side, but it was clean and adequate (since we did not spend any time in it).
This is one area that really needs work - disembarkation. There should be more crew stationed around the ship to direct folks where to go. And hold off on calling the colored coded tags until more of the walk offs are gone. I realize there is a time constraint, but something needs to be done with this.
Ok, overall really great. But let's talk about the bathroom issues. The ladies room in teh casino seemed to slowly fail from day one. Not good. From my limited experience, they seemed to be centralized in one section of the ship. (thank goodness).
We did not do any exercusions. We chose this cruise for the destination - Bermuda! Love, love, LOVE, Bermuda.
One negative: WHAT THE HECK DID YOU DO TO GATSBY'S? Putting the entertainers in the back corner removes them from view of a large part of the lounge. Put them back in the corner by the stairs - that way everyone in the lounge can see them. Honestly, this change was our only real disappointment of the cruise.
Vish - cruise staff; Febri - wait staff in Gatsby's ; Ricardo and his staff in the Cellar; Soozy - so much fun and approachable; Davii - our room steward from room 8086; Allen and Ariel from Gatsby's - Lawon and Daniel - wait staff, Krystle, Assistant M'aitre' d; I'm sure there are others; We did fill out Hero cards. :-)
We loved all the specialty restaurants we dined in, but Le Bistro was the best by far - our waiter (Lawson) was the best; the food was superb and the atmosphere fit the restaurant style (unlike La Cucinna).

Don't pay attention to the negative reviews. The Dawn is a great ship and the crew is really good.