Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Bermuda

First Cruise

Sail Date: August 28, 2015

I just returned from a cruise from Boston to Bermuda on NCL.  This was my first cruise but after cruising with NCL I am sure I will cruise with them again.  The service we received was fantastic from the start.  The booking and check-in were smooth and easy.  Our room was ready right away for the time we chose to check-in and our bags arrived very shortly thereafter.  We stayed in room 9718 and I want to mention this because our housekeeper was great but unfortunately I can't remember his name but I must say he remembered ours and we were always greeted with a smile and a big warm hello.  He was available at all times to make sure any possible need we had was met.  The room was cleaned early every day always turned down for us.

The activities available are great, I can't possibly say enough about Andre the Asst. Cruise director.  He conducted a lot of the activities we chose to participate in and by the end of the cruise we were picking activities to go to because of his fun personality.  The trivia games he came up with were so much fun (my fave was Friends) and even some of the ones I didn't know anything about I attended just because he made it such a great time. All of game shows, bingo and trivia were fantastic but make sure you attend "The Perfect Couple", I won't get into detail because it is definitely NOT what you are thinking it is and I do not want to ruin it if you don't know what to expect but when I left my cheeks hurt from laughing so hard.

The Spinnaker Lounge is a great place to enjoy drinks at almost anytime whether participating in the current activity or not.  The service we received in the Lounge was nothing short of perfect.  Award Rei was friendly, attentive and helpful with any questions we could possibly have had.  Award was a reason we kept coming back to the lounge Rakesh our bartender made great drinks and gave us friendly service with a smile at all times but all and all the entire staff in this lounge was just great and like I said kept us coming back.

We spent a lot of time in the casino while on the ship when we were not participating in Andre's activities and whether winning or loosing we kept going back because we also loved the staff there.  Tara, one of their great dealers was great, she was friendly, knew all the games she worked on and even provided us with a tune or two with her beautiful voice.  I have been in casinos where you could brew your own beer to get it quicker, but not here.  We found the waitstaff in the casino to also be fantastic but I have to specially mention Ana.  She was so attentive and friendly and I always around when we needed anything! ( I truly don't think some of this staff on this entire ship sleeps because they were always around for anything we needed)

The food all around is exactly what it claims to be.  If you go to the buffet, you get buffet food.  If you go to the Blue Lagoon, you get comfort food as promised (this place is a gem if you find yourself hungry in the wee hours of the morning).  For the most part if you pay the extra for the upscale dinners, you get more of an upscale experience.  Moderno was delicious and the service was great there, worth the cover charge in my opinion but be sure to go in there with a hearty appetite as the food will just keep coming.  The Venetian is probably the exception where although included it felt much more upscale and both the food and service were more on the level of one of the more upscale choices.  The one negative I have to include (but not worth taking a star from the entire cruise itself) Cagneys, if you want to go, book far in advance, we had about two dinner times to choose from for the entire week and we did book early in the cruise.  The steak was good, not really all that great.  If you think you are going to get Capital Grill, Ruth Chris, Morton's, etc caliber, this is just not the case.  We were seated in a table that felt like we were in the kitchen and yet still could not get a drink.  I felt the waiters only catered to the bigger parties for some reason and just kept walking by us. The service here was a big disappointment after the service we had been receiving all week.  I will not bother on my next cruise.

Overall the boat is kept very clean. The pool is a bit crowded but you have to expect that if you pick a boat that only has one pool.  For us this was not important, we just choose to enjoy the beaches in Bermuda instead of sitting by the pool.  We did go up to the pool to have some cocktails and listen to live music a few times and the waitstaff & bartenders work their butts off to get you what you want as quick as possible in a crowded area.

Thanks to Norwegian Cruise Line and their wonderful staff for making our first cruise a great and memorable experience.  We can't wait to book our next cruise and we hope we are lucky enough to have some of the same smiling friendly faces we had on this cruise.