Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Bermuda

Carnival Cruise Line was better

Sail Date: July 03, 2015

This was our fifth cruise and I have to say I was disappointed. My previous 4 cruises were on Carnival and we thought we'd try something different and booked the Norwegian Dawn to Bermuda. The island was beautiful and I loved having 3 days in port. The ship is an older ship with a lot of attention to detail when it was built. The atrium is beautiful. The overall layout has a very cramped feeling however with many narrow walkways (when you think of how many people are trying to get by). There were also not nearly enough seats in the theater, people were always standing in the back to see the show. To me this ship had a crowded feeling. The maintenance of this ship needs to be stepped up.The doors on the bathroom stalls were rusty. Half of the ellipticals in the gym were down as well as 3 of the 15 treadmills, that's 20%! The buffet did not have as much variety as Carnival's and the staff was not nearly as friendly. Many of the staff looked either bored or unhappy, and some of the hostesses in the dining rooms were down right rude. Our room steward was excellent as were the entertainment staff. The "washy washy" staff were also pleasant (they stood at the entrance to the buffet area and sprayed guests' hands with hand sanitizer- I loved this precaution).  The biggest disappointment for me was finding out that if I wanted to use the steam room or sauna in the spa I needed to purchase a $130 pass for the week. This is included on a cruise with Carnival, no additional fees for the spa unless you booked a service. Pricing in general on board was more expensive than on Carnival, especially for the portraits/pictures they take. Don't get me wrong, a vacation is a vacation and I still enjoyed my week, but I will be giving my business back to Carnival in the future. I would only book Norwegian again if the fare was offered at a very steep discount.

It was neat and clean and nothing was broken. It was smaller than other inside staterooms I have stayed in on Carnival.

Get to the Stardust Theater at least 30 min prior to the show or you will not get a seat. Bring your drink -not enough staff to accommodate the number of passengers wanting bar service. Seats are narrow-no additional walk ways besides the main aisle, everyone in your row has to help pass your drink