Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Great experience overall!

Sail Date: March 15, 2015

I'm 32 years old and went on this trip with my Mom (who has cruised several times before), and my Dad (who had never cruised prior to this).

The experience was wonderful overall except for the food poisoning that we all ended up with around the last days of our cruise. I'm thinking it was the salmon that we had in the Second City lunch show because that was the only time we all had the same dish. Unless it was the food that we had in Costa Maya where the locals made us food. Norwegian said no one else came forward with illness but I spent the last day in New Orleans sick all day and my mom and dad spent the last day of their actual cruise sick. I do believe this was an anomaly because I've never had this issue on Norwegian, so I'm still giving the cruise 4 stars.

Aside from that ,the experience was wonderful....take note:

Embarkation/Disembarkation: The Port of New Orleans was all around less organized than Miami or New York. We found ourselves asking people how to get inside and outside of the cruise terminal and how to get to the places you take taxis, etc. However, we made it in!

Food: The food was very tasty overall. We had the speciality dining package for free and so we tried all of the specialty restaurants. The Brazilian restaurant and the steakhouse were by far my favorite. The food in the main dining room was very good too - no complaints.

Entertainment: They left more to be desired here. I am usually in the club every night, but found the music, etc. left something to be desired in the clubs. I spent maybe 30 minutes of my entire cruise in the clubs. The evening shows were ok - also not as great as I'm accustomed to with Norwegian. I did appreciate the usual Newlywed show, and the game shows that they have. I usually don't buy tickets to Deal or No Deal and all of that, because its rare you will actually be called and I think its a waste of $30...however, we sit in the audience and watch the folks go up there. That was really interesting. The cruise director wasn't my favorite. He wasn't that funny or entertaining like I'm used to and I felt the line up was overall boring.

Casino: Was cool - can't complain here. Love the free drinks while playing....

Overall customer service: Great customer service. Miles above Carnival in so many ways. Except - i wasn't fond of how they handled our food poisoning complaints. They eventually refunded the money we paid for the Second City show where we believe we got the food poisoning from, but at first, they weren't trying to do anything for us since we did not pay to see the on-ship doctor and actually have him DIAGNOSE us with food poisoning. However, they did eventually fix it. Other than that, we had no other customer service issues.

Ports: Super fun and educational. The Mayan house we went to was cool, and the Mayan ruins in Belize was awesome. The actual ride to the Mayan house ....the guy talked the entire time and I was bored. But...I LOVED the beach and the Gumbalina Preserve in Honduras. Favorite excursion. Monkeys got to sit on my shoulder. It was lovely. :)

Overall crowd: I often say that the crowd makes the ship experience. On this cruise, there was not a whole lot of diversity. A lot of older couples, and a lot of late teens/early twenties on spring break. As a woman in my early 30s who traveled with my parents, the experience would have been nicer with more people my age.

Children's Programs Did not participate. No children on trip.
The Balcony was nice - no complains.

1 Comment