Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Third Mate

The Relaxing and Fun Time We Were Looking For

Sail Date: January 06, 2013

The Norwegian Dawn was recently refurbished and looked great. This is the first time we got a window since we generally like our little dark caves, but having a view was great and I ended up spending more time in the room because of it. There was plenty of storage space for our suitcases and clothes. Another GREAT thing about the room was the flat screen TV's, a very nice upgrade. After the evening's entertainment on the boat, we don't stay up late for the night life but enjoy our quiet time in the room watching movies, etc. The entertainment was very good although I missed having a single comedian. Second City made me laugh but is not as engaging to me as the individual comedian. My family particularly loved the acrobatics and the music of Greg London. My favorite entertainment though is the trivia and there were plenty offered on the ship. For food we ate mostly in the garden buffet for breakfast and lunch and the main dining rooms for dinner and they were very good. Another non-charge restaurant (the Blue Lagoon?) offered "comfort food" such as hamburgers and fish and chips which we also enjoyed for lunch. My only disappointment continues to be in the desserts for Norwegian. Too much flavorless gelatin concoctions! That being said, they have definitely improved (this was our third Norwegian trip), and the chocolate buffet night was really good. Other great things were the crepes, different bread puddings, and chocolate fountain. The meals are always hit and miss with the main dining room, but mostly a hit. Really no significant complaints with the food.I am still dreaming about the delicious sweet potatoes served with the turkey dinner! I am sure we all gained a pound or two :). We absolutely loved the time in the spa and bought the weekly pass to use the pools, jacuzzi, sauna, and private lounging rooms. It was $119 apiece and my husband and daughter and son-in-law used the facility at least once every day, and I used it about three different times.. Definitely worth the money for that quiet relaxation time. My sister had fun trying other services like teeth whitening and acupuncture. Not sure what else to say. The ship was not as "happening" as some of the bigger ships we have been on, but we had a great time and it met our expectations.
Children's Programs did not use but looked great
Costa Maya was the only disappointment, not much there

Don't bother bringing your own hair dryer since the plug in will probably not work although it works fine for curling irons and straigteners. The dryer provided worked very well.