Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Bermuda

Most relaxing vacation we've ever had

Sail Date: April 21, 2012

Overall, we really enjoyed the ship. It's big with tons of options for entertainment and things to do. Being at sea for several days (3 full days and 2 partial days) was no issue at all. We didn't use a lot of the amenities - like the spa or the casino - but it was really nice to be able to make the vacation our own. We were looking primarily to relax and recharge after a stressful year, and we definitely did that. The room was very comfortable - somewhat tight to maneuver in places, like around the bed, but definitely roomier than I had expected - and the balcony was heavenly. :)

Pros: Comfortable room, clean & working amenities, great staff, tons of options for activities

Cons: The dining options were very repetitious

Recommends Norwegian Dawn? Yes!

Norwegian is known for it's 'freestyle' dining, which in theory is pretty cool - however, in practice it falls a little short. There are two main dining rooms to eat in that do NOT have a cover charge. Several times when we went for dinner there was a wait, which was frustrating. The food in both main dining rooms was fine, but a little repetitious and nothing to really write home about. I was not wowed. There is also a buffet, which had typical buffet fare and was fine, and a snack bar type thing (The Blue Lagoon) that was open 24/7 and was also fine. We ate in two of the specialty restaurants - La Cucina and Bamboo - and while they were both nice, and both a welcome change, having to pay a cover charge really irritated me. I think I would have preferred more structure to my dining experience in exchange for better and more varied food, and eliminate most or all of the places with cover charges. It felt very nickle-and-dime to me.

We took in several shows, which were not particularly high quality but still fun nonetheless, and also had a blast watching Ariel Jacobs at Gatsby's. He sounds just like Frank Sinatra! There was plenty to do for all types of people, but I will say that some of the options I might have considered more - like being in the pool/hot tubs and going to the casino - were dominated by A) smokers and B) drunk people, both of which I wasn't really interested in socializing with, so our time at both of those places was limited.
We really didn't encounter any rudeness or issues. Our housekeeper was awesome and we loved him, he did a great job. On the day of checkout, there was one staff person behind the counter in the Atrium who was less than helpful about some questions I had about our bill, but otherwise, I have no complaints at all.
Huge ship - we got turned around constantly! All the services I used, including restrooms outside the stateroom, were clean, orderly, and working. Decor was lovely - especially in Aqua, the lights in the ceiling and the glass were both lovely. Never encountered anything that wasn't working or 100% clean. Very nice.
We had a regular balcony room. It was wonderful - the balcony was lovely and we spent tons of time on it. It was plenty of room for my husband and I with the exception of the bathroom, which was really quite cramped.