Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Our first cruise

Sail Date: September 01, 2011

I thought the ship was in very good ccondition, some things were slightly worn but you had to really look for it. It was clean and if there was a spill, people were there quickly to clean it. There are several lounges and places to get a drink or food. Not a tremendous amount of chairs available to layout in, you have to get up early to put your gear by a chair to save it.

Pros: Even on a crowded ship, there were plenty of places to not be around others. Every eveing for sunset on the main deck, there were few people and always free chairs. A great place for the cocktail of the day and a good Cuban cigar.

Cons: We went the first week of March and there were mobs (and I mean mobs) of spring break, college kids on the boat. They were entertaining while they were all partying and drunk but I'll say this, they were mostly good kids and respectful of the others on the boat.

Recommends Norwegian Dawn? Yes!

The shows we saw were a husband and wife singing team, they were very good. One night, they did a Neil Diamond show in a main theater, it was great and we danced several times, which doesn't usually happen with me. We saw a comedy show as well and laughed until we were sore. One night, in the jazz lounge, several of the entertainers were there and we hung out and chatted with them until the wee hours. They even went up to the piano and just improvised singing and storytelling, it was really fun.
The staff was great. The cruise director was very entertaining and seems to be in 2 or 3 places at a time, busy guy. The staff sometimes have multiple jobs, getting to know a certain bartender is a good thing too, they do take care of you, especially if you tip a little extra.
We had a balcony room, I wish we would have gotten the suite but they weren't available when we booked. Our room was small compared to a hotel but for a ship, I think it was good. Always cleaned, I think twice a day in fact. There isn't any room in the minibar fridge for your own drinks but that was about it. If you are a very large person, the toilet will seem cramped, at 6'3", my knees were into the wall in front of the toilet. Sitting out on the balcony in the morning or evening was beautiful. In fact, at night, before bed, we would leave the balcony ddoors open an just listen to the sea. Everything worked fine and was in good order. next time, I'll get the suite but the balcony room was still quite nice.
The food choices were all pretty good, the entree were all good, I never had a bad one, in fact, a couple nights, I ordered 2 entrees or 2 appetizers, it's no problem. Never left hungry. One night, there is a chocolate buffet, it was OK, I thought it could have been slightly better but with so many choices of chocolate treats, I found plenty of ones I liked.
The layout of the ship was pretty easy to navigate, I think we saw most of it. The hallways can be long sometimes from the elevators but neverany problem. The elevators can get crowded during busier times, we took several levels of steps to bypass the elevators on several occasions but it was never any issue. We needed it to work off the food anyhow.