Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Bermuda

Very Disappointing

Sail Date: August 01, 2008

Our family traveled on the Dawn on 8/17 with another couple, who are friends of ours. Embarkment went very smoothly, had no complaints there. When we got to our room (11610) it wasn't very clean. There was alot of dust everywhere and the sliding glass doors that led onto the balcony were very dirty. You could see that the cleaning service did just the bare minimum the entire week. The worst part of our room was that the toilet bowl smelled like a sewer everytime you lifted the lid...we had to smell this for 7 days! There were only a handful of pleasant, helpful and engaging staff members on this cruise (Junior being one of them, he was awesome!!). The rest of them were obnoxious, unattentive (you could clearly tell they did not care to make your trip more enjoyable) and practically non-existent whenever you needed anything.

The whole concept of "Freestyle" dining sounds good, but it ends there. The staff at the Venetian was completely unorganized, people were complaining, they were hungry, there was nowhere to sit and "wait" so the hallway was jammed with people, it was just a mess. Since they do not take reservations at the Venetian (this was the main dining room), you had to go down and put your name on a wait list, the average wait was about 75 minutes. So if your in a hurry to eat, forget it! The food in the Venetian and Aqua were okay, the food in the Garden Cafe (buffet) was terrible. I call it upscale cafeteria food. To get a decent meal you had to dine in one of the restaurants, which of course, had a cover charge. We ate in Cagney's twice, Impressions and Salsa...Cagney's was my favorite, but they were all decent. But compared to the rest of the food on board, they were GREAT!

One day I was sitting in the pool area talking with another guest and I commented on how cloudy the pool water looked...she told me that she didn't think the pool was emptied the night before because she was out late and when she passed the pool it was still full (usually by that time, the pool had always been emptied)...well, I was completely grossed out by this, along with the fact that my husband noticed the grout lines looked black and moldy inside the pool...we never went back into the pool after that, used the shower to cool off.

This was our first cruise and what a disappointment!!! As you can see, there were just too many things to complain about. The overall service was just unacceptable and, according to some other cruisers I spoke with, almost unheard of on most of the other cruise lines. Between the cost of the cruise and all the "extra" money we spent on drinks, dinners, etc., it just wasn't worth it! If your planning on traveling on the Dawn, I hope your experience is better than ours. All I can say is, make the best of it! Rest assured, our family will NEVER cruise on Norwegian again!

Pros: T-Rex Center for Kids

Cons: Terrible Staff Service, Not Very Clean Stateroom, Food was Mediocre

Recommends Norwegian Dawn? No.