Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

NCL lost our lugage twice during 5 days

Sail Date: December 01, 2009

Room Type: Suite

NCL lost our luggage TWICE during the same 5-day cruise. Despite multiple promises NCL refused to reimburse our expenses. At least 6 cabins were affected in the same way.

On embarkation NCL staff urged us to hand the luggage to NCL porter (right in front of our ship). Our luggage tags were clear and correct, we made sure porter understands the bags go on the Dawn, and we tipped him.

In the evening Guest Relations told us that NCL mistakenly loaded all 3 bags onto wrong ship (Jewel), and they would not be returned to us during the cruise. We submitted all forms NCL required, and informed them that we had another cruise planned just after this one.

We received one-day emergency kit and $100 onboard credit per person, but after the wave of complaints from all luggage-less passengers, the allowance was increased to $200. The onboard credit was useless, since gift shop does not carry many necessities, such as prescription medication (we only had one-day supply in the carry-on), certain toiletries, or clothing and sandals for a 60 woman with shoe size 11. My face powder and mascara bill alone was over $70. The swimsuit costs $99, etc.

However, Front Office Manager Anita Niedinger, and Imelda Valdez from Guest Service told us to buy all necessities onshore regardless of the $200 keep the receipts, and the money would be reimbursed by NCL Miami office. This promise was repeated to us every day, multiple times.

We spent $335.26 on medication, clothing and toiletries. We wasted most of our time onshore trying to find necessities. With no swimsuits, no sandals, and no gear none of our Caribbean plans materialized.

On 18 Dec we disembarked and proceeded to retrieve our luggage. To our horror we found only 2 of 3 bags. The staff was clueless, so I called NCLs main office.
We were lucky that I researched NCL contact information while still on the ship; otherwise we would be left helpless. At some point Ms. Michelle Cross from the NCLs Miami office, told me to describe the contents of our luggage (again), because there was a number of misplaced bags in the office and with some luck one of them would be ours. Once this operation failed, she told me that she emailed the Jewel with a question about our luggage. I was outraged: we had five hours left until our next cruise leaves and she sends an email? Only after I cried she acted to find out that our missing bag was still on the Jewel. Since my husband still had no luggage, Ms. Cross extended the reimbursement promise, so we replaced some of my husbands missing items. In Miami we spent additional $533.64.

The luggage was supposed to be delivered to Cartagena (one of the ports of call of the next cruise). It was not. After more complaints and more telephone calls we received our luggage back on the December 25th (soaking wet and completely destroyed). My husband wore jeans to Christmas Eve dinner. He spent 13 days without his luggage.

I filed reimbursement claim , and asked NCL for a full refund of the fare we paid for the cruise. NCL offered $175 credit per person toward future cruise. After I wrote to CEO, they increased this to $349. We were promised cash reimbursement! This credit has no value to us, since we will never sail with NCL again.

Cons: Customer service, food, entertainment

Recommends Norwegian Dawn? No.

We ventured to the free dining rooms twice, once for lunch and once for dinner. That was some experience! The food was beyond horrible - not even bland - it tasted really bad. The service was below any standards I know. We would stick to specialty restaurants, they were reasonable.
We had mini-suite. It was bad. I mostly remember that it was dark, gloomy and old.
The Guest Relations staff was slow, unhelpful, and sometimes simply rude. Often when speaking to the representative I would feel that I needed to explain myself for wanting to know what is being done to remedy the situation. Almost every time I went down or called, their first words would be you still need to give us the luggage report the contents list etc., even though we handed in all the required documentation on the first day. One Guest Relations employee told me lady, youre not the only one in this situation we have twenty more cabins with the same problem implying that I did not deserve any special attention. I do not know if twenty more cabins had their luggage lost, but I feel that I definitely deserved kinder treatment. The medical staff was also bad. Since we had medication supply for only one day, we saw the ships doctor . The nurse was super unpleasant. The doctor contemplated giving me a set of morning after pills in place of my regular contraceptive meds.
We were not able to sit through any show. Public venues were dirty, noisy and full of drunk people. Even the library - I kid you not - had a giant megaphone which would play sales announcements every 20 minutes.
Decor in really bad taste. Dirty and smelly. And old. But the layout was OK.