Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Bermuda

Most disappoint cruise experience

Sail Date: May 01, 2008

I speak for all three of us when I say we'll never cruise with Norwegian again. Most of the amenities that Royal Caribbean and Carnival provide are costly on Norwegian. A prime example is the steam room & sauna (something I look for on a ship). RC & Carnival provide them as part of your paid fare. Norwegian charges for them as part of a "spa package MEMBERSHIP" (not noted on their website, by the way), and the charge is INSANE at about $75 per person.

The "entertainment" was equivalent to a high school show. Seriously. Even the best show had dancers and acrobats tripping & falling on stage (and we were docked, not on a moving ship!). In one show the cast members kept missing their cues, so the music was going on with no one singing. Then the singer would catch up & couldn't carry the note. This happened several times over the week, not a single instance, which is kind of understandable.

The food was unappealing as their presentation was really poor. No fantastic midnight buffet as the other cruise company's offer, and are proud of. And their eat "whenever" is a joke. Food service, except for room service and a place to get burgers and french fries, all close at 10pm.

Debarkation was a nightmare with not one person on the staff willing to help my husband find a wheelchair accessible area to go to (the same for the other special needs guests). They offer an "express" debarkation and of the 2200 people on board at least 1500 chose it, so those of us with flights to catch in the early afternoon could not get off the ship as the gangways were over crowded.

Once, on shore in Bermuda, my husband was going back to the ship & couldn't get back on because with more than 30 minutes before setting sail, Norwegian had already brought in the wheelchair accessible gangway. He struggled with the workers to convince them to lower it so he could embark. When he spoke with the head of security, later that day, he was treated terribly and basically told he was lucky to get back on! What? That's their response?

As for my shipboard credit or coupon book, or whatever it was I was supposed to receive as part of my booking incentive, my travel agent said they would provide it on the ship, they said, 'No, the travel agent sends it in advance of sailing'. Needless to say, none was received. In this area I am disappointed in both Norwegian & the travel agent. Someone dropped the ball, and it wasn't me.

Our cabin stewards were lovely, and we sure do hope that Norwegian shares those tips accordingly.

We're not new at this, as this was our 8th cruise, on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the lowest score, Norwegian scored a 3 with us. That's pretty bad.

Pros: Bermuda

Cons: The rest

Recommends Norwegian Dawn? No.

Poor, not of the caliber we're used to. Comics unfunny, shows like high school productions.
Unappealing presentation; except for a burger or room service "whenever" dining shut down at 10pm. No amazing midnight buffet, just an unappealing chocolate buffet, with not enough to serve everyone.
Rude and unhelpful (except for the cabin stewards).
Average...Nothing out of the ordinary.
Average...Nothing out of the ordinary. Nice stewards.
Although we didn't utilize the kid's program we did meet the staff and saw the facilities, and both were very nice.