Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

mixed feelings cruise 4/6/08)

Sail Date: April 01, 2008

The ship is beautiful except for the ribbons, statute of liberty etc on the outside-it felt undignified. The inside is beautiful including the restaurants and the pool area called Oasis. I really liked the different levels (bleacher like) that they had around the pool where you could lay on your chair. really liked that. If you don't care about being around the one pool there are alot of chairs most of the time except for sea days-get there early! I really didn't like that you had to pay for so many things. the photos are expensive-at the formal night we bought two and they were $50. They were always pushing you for bingo, pull tabs, drinks etc and abouto the 6th night I was tired of hearing get this get this" and tired of photographers. We have always gone between NCL and RCL and I'm thinking RCL next time. I did like the library, card room and staff-generally all pretty good and the price was right. Also this is a smaller ship (2,000 people) and I liked that I wasn't on the huge ships. Free style cruising? I am not sure it is for me-I love the interaction between the waiters and you but with a new one every night we didn't get it. The cruise was just OK.

Pros: cabins and ship itself

Cons: buy buy buy and food

Recommends Norwegian Dawn? Yes!

food is nothing to write home about-maybe plenty but doesn't have the wow factor. steaks in main dining area were blah-real thin and chewy. menu was "ok". went to one of their specialty restaurants (teppanyaki) and it was good but with $20 cover charge and they RUSH you thru in an hour. Blue Lagoon is the 24 hour restaurant and it really needs attention as it was hard to get the waiters to come over and give you a menu-people actually left before getting menu.
they always had the hand sanitizers out wherever you went-this was good. I thought everything was clean and they tried to clean up tables pretty quick after being vacated.
for the most part, everyone was good-except for the blue Lagoon staff-see above.
when Simon Cowell says cruise ship material for American Idol contestants, I can see what he means. They are ok but not the greatest EXCEPT for the Bollywood night-that was awesome with acrobatics in the air and below-wow! otherwise, forget it. And the casino is huge but they do smoke and I went thru my money on the slot machines very fast.
two 15 year olds (boy/girl) had a great time. One item, NCL doesn't have a curfew for teens like Royal carribean does, so some of the kids were up all night long and some of them were in each other rooms for hanging out-wasn't liken that for my girl-but she found a new special "Friend".
the best thing-the inside stateroom was the biggest I have seen and the bathrooms are sizeable (I am not a small person and had lots of room)