Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: December 23, 2007

Room Type: Suite

The NCL Dawn is a nice ship with nice public rooms and lounges. I liked the design and colors of the ship . This was not the problem

Pros: The ports of call

Cons: Penthouse services

Recommends Norwegian Dawn? No.

The main dining rooms are terrible for food quality and service. Bring a chain saw for the meat if you dare to try the main dining rooms and if you have weak teeth make sure you have a dental plan.
They have other fine restaurants but they ding you for a fee. I enjoyed the Teppanyaky Japanese restaurant. Excellent food and service. For a free restaurant try the Salsa Bar and Grill. Excellent food and a nice band. These places will not send you to a dentist.
The buffet was good. There is an ice cream place but don't get there before they open. We were there at 11:55 am and wanted a nice ice cream cone but the clerk told us no ice cream until 12 noon. (5 minutes away) I said it's only 5 more minutes can't you just start early? and the guy said no ice cream until 12 noon. What a joke.
The ship is well maintained and polished.
Don't waste your money on a penthouse suite expecting a large room. We paid a higher fare for a penthouse suite expecting a nice sized room. I stubbed my toe several times. If you are slightly over weight you won't fit in the bathroom. I am a slim person and could just fit in the toilet area. The bathtub is very small and dangerous. No rubber on the bottom of the tub. Just a small bar to try and hang onto. I could not fit in the tub for a bath and I am 6 feet tall and slim. I can't imagine anyone bigger than me having a bath but good luck to you. Waste of money in my opinion.
The bed in our penthouse suite was an old army cot. Look underneath if you dare to buy a penthouse suite and you will know why. I weigh 195 lbs and it sagged badly when I sat on it. We asked our butler to add more padding to it. He told us there was none and we had to live with it. I flagged down our stateroom attendant and he was very helpful. He found another matress for us and it helped. My back was sore on the 5th night. If you have back problems God be with you. Find a chiropractor and insurance. My point here is the butler service you pay for with this penthouse suite is useless. The guy couldn't care less about our comfort. It was like we were a bother to him. This penthouse suite service is a waste of your money
Went to most shows but left after a few minutes. I saw no value in the live shows. CNN on TV was a better option for entertainment in my opinion. I did watch most of Bollywood but got tired of seeing the same twirling acrobats.
Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas
Just a small flat island with a beach. Good snorkling as we saw lots of fish. Nothing else on the Island.
Cayo Levantado (Samana), Dominican Republic
We decided to just go for a walk through town. This was quite nice as you can go for a short walk to town and take some pictures without paying an excursion fee. There is no beach but a walking path along the sea to town.
Road Town, Tortola, B.V.I.
Went to the Virgin Gorda Baths. One of the best tours. Lots of scenery and a very nice beach. Lots of walking involved. Great for scenic pictures as you are on a hilltop and then you walk down to the beach areas.
Don't Miss: The caves you walk through.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
So much to do here in St.Thomas. We took the Screamin Eagle speed boat ride. An hour of fun like when you were a kid on a roller coaster. Great time and worth every penny.
Don't Miss: A trip up the tram to Paradise Point. $19 per person but the best picture taking place on the entire cruise. This is a must stop if you love breath taking views.