Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Cruise That Never Was

Sail Date: November 01, 2006

My husband and I booked this cruise. It was our honeymoon (we were both married for the second time, so we are older). My husband had never been on a cruise, so I couldn't wait to see his reaction. I have never cruised NCL before and was looking forward to it. We had a limosine pick us up at our home. We were delighted how easy it was to hand over our luggage at the street. Getting onto the ship was very easy. My husband is impatient - and he was fine. I was impressed by the hand sanitizers you had to use before entering the ship. We watched the Spirit leave to go on her cruise. We were delayed an hour leaving. I guess you all read about the Thanksgiving cruise to Norfolk Virginia. Well because of a problem with the propulsion system on the ship, we had to dock in Viriginia. Because of a storm, we spent 3 days in Virginia. We were told that we were going to just go to Florida. There was a mini riot on the ship and police were called in. After petitions were signed, NCL did give us our money back with a 25% discount off our next cruise. NOW THE WHOLE STORY: We booked a cruise for this coming June 2nd, 2007. 4 other couples decide to join us. We all have mini suites - one right next to each other. We can't all wait to go. Guess what, NCL called us 2 weeks ago to let us know that they cancelled our cruise to fix the PROPULSION SYSTEM on the Dawn. She will be dry docked May 26th thru June 9th. What are the chances of us booking a cruise on the day they are dry docking her to fix the problem that was the cause of the Thanksgiving week's cruise being cancelled. I immediately got on the phone with NCL and they got me rooms for the NCL Spirit leaving that same day. 3 of the couples cancelled because, they don't have mini suites on the Spirit, and the itenary was not to their liking. But my husband and I are determined to see blue water and we are leaving June 2nd on the Spirit to Bermuda and St.Thomas. People say we are crazy, that the 3rd time is ----. I don't want to hear it. Just wish us luck. I just hope NCL lives up to our expectations.

Pros: The ship was beautiful, food was excellent

Cons: I wish my husband and I could have experienced a real cruise. Also it was Thanksgiving week, the ship had alot of kids on it. Even though it was fully booked, we never waited on any lines

Recommends Norwegian Dawn? Yes!

We both loved the ship. She was big, beautiful and colorful. When we first got on, we weren't allowed in the room yet so we ate at the Garden Cafe and then took a tour of the boat. When we went out to the pool, we saw the Norwegian Spirit and even though she was a nice ship, I felt like a queen on the bigger boat.
We took full advantage of all the restaurants. We never had a bad meal. Cagneys Steak house was the best. I enjoyed the waiter cracking open my whole lobster for me. I didn't have to get dirty.
We both loved the ship. We had a balcony room, 10120. We loved it. My husband is a big man, he found it a little tight. We were glad for the balcony as it added much more room. The shower was large, the toilet area cramped for my husband. I told him, it was ship life, it was great.
The staff was pretty good. They had to handle alot on this cruise. They took abuse from alot of the passengers. It was not their fault what had happened,