Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Great Trip

Sail Date: October 22, 2006

I was pleased with the availability of health promoting activities. They had many options in the spa including acupuncture. They also had fitness classes such as pilates and spinning which they did charge a fee for. We also liked the choice for light cooking food which was wonderful (although it would be nice to have the nurtitional content provided as well). The availability of seminars that focused on health related topics was nice as well. Although, it must be noted that they are often followed up by a quick plug for a product by the speaker.

Pros: Great ship, staff, and recreational choices

Cons: we didn't like a few of the entertianers onboard so we didn't attend the shows.

Recommends Norwegian Dawn? Yes!

We didn't participate in the big shows because we didn't like the entertainers available. We did however, enjoy the murder mystery dinner, the weakest link, the progressive trivia, and the quest. I attended a memory seminar which was great. We also attended a slight of hand show which was also really good.
upon entry into the ship there is a beautiful open room about 5 stories high. This includes a grand piano in the center and this is a very beautiful focal point of the ship. The ship was large most of the rooms were larger than other ships I have been on such as the casino and arcade. I ran into a few instances of toilets being out of order during the week - those were the public toilets. We enjoyed the fact we could purchase a day pass for the spa and enjoy the sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, and pool with very few other people.
We did not eat in any of the restaurants which had cover charges as we did not see a need. We ate in the main dinning rooms for most meals and the garden cafe or the blue lagoon for a few lunches or breakfasts. We loved eating in the venetian main dinning room which was large and beautifully decorated. The food was wonderful. I loved having the option of having light cooking options. Lunches were also delicious. Breakfast in the main reastaurants didn't not have a great selection so I thought I garden cafe was great for breakfast. Room service did not have a great selection.
The rooms were not too small for our purposes - I expected them to be much smaller after reading other reviews. I also found the storage space to be adequeate. I guess it depends on the size of the ships you are used to sailing on. The bathrooms were nice the floors in the bathrooms looked new no mold or any discoloration in the material. The carpets were a little worn. The blankets, pillows, and the bed itself were suprisingly comfortable. This is coming from the daughter of a furniture salesman. We had a top quality bed a home and I was very concerned about being in pain because of sleeping on a ship bed but I didn't have any problems. Our room was located on the fourth floor. The only problem I had with our location was that several of the floors on ship you can't walk from one end to the other. So, for example, if we were on one end of the ship at times we would have to go up a floor or two walk to the other end of the ship and then go down to our room.
Freestyle dining does not offer as many opportunities to meet staff as traditional cruising because you doing have same waiter same table, but on the other hand there is more opportunity. We formed a great report with our assistant Maitre'd. We also didn't have any encounters with rude staff.
Not too much interesting. We went to Atlantis it was pretty nice. It had very nice tunnels and aquarium. They also had many very expensive shops if you want to get jeans for $800 this place is for you. Nassau was less impressive it was very busy with shops that were full of fairly tacky merchandaise.
Don't Miss: Atlantis
Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas
It was just a crowded beach. Nothing exciting we got off the ship for only two hours and then got back on and enjoyed having the spa pool area to ourselves.
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
We LOVED this island but we also heard people who did not like it at all. It is all about knowing where to go. Before we left we went to the library and checked out some vacation guides from the library. Then we made a deal with a cab driver to rent him for 4 hours. We went to Lucaya national park and after seeing the caves we were able to go to the beach nearby which was empty - we had about 5 miles of white sand blue water all to ourselves!
Don't Miss: Lucaya national park's beach
Port Canaveral, Florida
We did an excursion to the Kenedy Space Center. It was a lot of fun! We did the less expensive excursion which was worth it if for the the cost of the transportation alone.
Don't Miss: the alligators we saw 4 on the drive!