Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Bermuda

Nice cruise

Sail Date: August 01, 2006

Room Type: Suite

We were supposed to go to Bahamas but got diverted due to Tropical Storm Ernesto. Although this was not NCL's fault, I felt that we should have gotten some kind of credit for this (i.e., onboard credit, credit toward a future cruise...SOMETHING) No doubt NCL saved a lot of money on fuel, as well as made a lot of money onboard, as we cruised around Bermuda for 4 days rather than sailing to Bahamas. Also, we cruised back to New York for 2 days at a very slow pace (average 14.5 - 15 knots, according to the ship info that you got on tv). Also, I had purchased the honeymoon package by faxing to the number they gave, but there was never any record of them having received it. However, they did allow us to purchase the package onboard. I would suggest for other people that you do not purchase this package, as it did not seem worth the $229 that it cost. The "tenders" (boats that carry people from the ship at anchor to the shore) were a nightmare. Very crowded, hot and long waits in line. However, I do give this cruise an "excellent" rating overall because, if not for Ernesto I believe it would have been more than excellent.

Pros: The food and wonderful staff

Cons: Diverted due to T.S. Ernesto

The shows in the Stardust Theater were a little bit on the loud side. There was a show in the Spinnaker Lounge that purported to be "Awesome 80s" but was actually more like easy listening. That was a disappointment as it definitely was NOT "Awesome 80s" music.
The ship is huge, clean, very nicely decorated.
We thought the food was excellent. We ate mostly at the Garden Cafe, but we did try most of the other restaurants. We got a dinner and wine at Le Bistro as part of our honeymoon package. It was a beautiful restaurant. The staff were outstanding at all restaurants.
We got a very unexpected upgrade at the last moment, from a balcony stateroom to a mini-suite, and I must say that it was FANTASTIC. Much bigger than I had anticipated, and I believe that even the regular balcony stateroom would have been perfectly fine.
Every staff member was very friendly and they all seemed to go out of their way to be helpful and nice.