Norwegian Crown (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Bermuda

Shipwrecked in Bermuda

Sail Date: June 04, 2006

Room Type: Suite

My wife and I sailed out of Phila. On June 4, 2006 on the NCL Crown. It was only our second cruise and the first one was 20 years ago. The Crown was our choice because of the ports (3) visited in Bermuda. We had a great time. The accommodations were beyond my expectations as was the freestyle cruising concept. Given the fact that we ran aground on the reefs while moving from St George to Hamilton it was still a great cruise. How many people can say that they were shipwrecked on the reefs of Bermuda in this day and age. The food was very good and the choice of restaurants were adequate.

The staff on the ship was very pleasant and accommodating. I believe the size of the ship, which has approximately 530 staterooms was great for meeting and interacting with many of your fellow passengers. The boarding and unboarding in Phila was a pleasure, no hassle at all. I will be happy to take my next cruise, hopefully in the near future, on NCL. The entertainment was good not great. The guest performers were very good but the remainder of the show were performed by the staff. Because of the shipwreck we did not dock in Hamilton and that was disappointing. The line did provide shuttle service but it was not the same as being in port. I just as glad because my wife had less time to shop.

My only complaint is that the ships officers did not inform the passengers of the situation and the ongoing plan to resail the ship. The information was minimal at best, and provide by the cruise director. And in most instances was inaccurate. But again I would like to say I enjoyed the cruise and will cruise with NCL again.

Pros: stateroom & freestyle cruising concept

Cons: Officers actions during an emergency

The ship is very easy to get around. Most of the time you are only going between 2 or 3 decks for eating and entertainment.
The menus were diverse and the portion were properly sized. The food was served quicky and the wait staff were excellent
We were on the penthouse deck and the room was great. Our steward took care of all our needs
all the staff were pleasant and accomodating
King's Wharf, Bermuda
Not much going on in this port. A small shopping mall and crafter's area. We did take a bus to Horseshoe Bay which was well worth the trip.
St. George's, Bermuda
Enjoyed just walking around town and taking in the local sites. We walked all over town and then back to the ship. You can obtain a lunch or dinner voucher for use in town for a minimal charge.
Hamilton, Bermuda
We were not able to spend alot of time in this port. We did take the ferry on evening and walk around the street market which was in progress.