Breakaway

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Norwegian Breakaway

7 Night Western Caribbean (Port Canaveral Roundtrip)

Sail date: November 23, 2019

Ship: Norwegian Breakaway

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 9212

Traveled as: Singles/Friends

Review summary

I cruise 3 to 4 times per year and this ship was my least favorite. It seems NCL ships are dark and dreary.

Embarkation

Very smooth process and was on the ship by 1130am

Ship experiences

Food was not my favorite on this ship. Thanksgiving meal was awful. What I liked was the filet at teppanaki, chicken orzo at the garden cafe, grilled tiger shrimp at the velvet show, pretzel rolls at the buffet and the fried wonton with cream cheese.

Taste Restaurant

The food was below average and the service was super slow. The atmosphere was dark and dreary. The bread was stale and the menu was disappointing. Due to the lack of variety I had to order chicken soup from the kids menu every day.

Garden Café

Well done with the soups every day. There was a chicken broth type soup most days.

Shaker's Cocktail Bar

Christian was the best server and the drinks were fabulous.

Teppanyaki

The service was decent and our chef was so much fun. I loved that he was singing. The filet was perfection!

Pool

The pool design was not thought through. I’ve never been on a ship with only 8 chairs by the pool. Very disappointing. It was hard to find any chair past 9 am

Breakaway Casino

Some of the casino staff were rude not just to me but others as well. Casino was too Smokey.

Spiegel Tent

The seating was so uncomfortable

Found elevators small and dirty. The lighting was dark and dreary. Made me tired. The bathrooms only had 1 or 2 soap dispensers working but overall they were clean.

I take 3 to 4 cruises per year and this was one of the smallest rooms I’ve ever had. I couldn’t even get my suitcase past the bed. Storage was limited as I had to live partially out of my suitcase. On a positive note the bathroom seemed bigger and the room temperature was colder which was perfect. I didn’t even need my fan.

Ship tip

In order to get good bar service. As the bartender to run you a receipt and add a $5 tip They will remember you and give you good service. I did that each pool day, at the bar by Taste and at Syd Norman’s Rock the poor house.

Ports of call