Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Horrible first-time Norwegian experience

Sail Date: November 22, 2015

Traveled As: Family w/young children

My family and I just went on the Norwegian Breakaway out of NY this week. My girlfriend and I cruise about 3 times a year and this was our first with Norwegian. We usually cruise Carnival and figured we would give them a try. Was absolutely horrible. The staff, while a few were very nice, were generally rude. But the one thing that I found that was unacceptable, we booked this cruise (@ about a cost of $3000 plus), to visit their private island, Great Stirrup Cay, and they canceled the tenders going out to the island literally 5 min before we were supposed to get off, because of what the captain said was "rough waves", which was absolute crap. And to make matters worse, no effort was made to see if they could get on the island, we didn't wait to maybe see if the waves would eventually get a little calmer, or maybe switch going there with another day (our only other port was Nassau, which is very close to Great Stirrup Cay). Even my 9-year old had the common sense to say that's what they should have done, instead of completely basically saying that they don't care about their guests. So many other scenarios could have happened to get us on the island during that week, but absolutely none were explored. Literally hundreds of guests on the ship were saying how disappointed they were, that they booked the cruise just for that island. Did we get any compensation, any onboard credit, even an "I'm sorry"?, no, we got absolutely nothing. Unacceptable. The genius decision to compensate not going to the island was to go to Nassau one day early and get there at 6pm. (At night, where no one even got off the boat). No apologies were ever made and it was clearly apparent that as long as they already had your money that was good enough for them. Let me tell you, shame on me for even considering Norwegian, this company can't hold a candle to anything Carnival does. If you are reading this dont waste your money with them, was the worst cruising experience I have ever had......