Norway (RETIRED) Cruise Review

Second Mate

In many other cruise reviews one frequently sees criticisms due to too many kids on a cruise. My cruise last week was just the opposite. The Norway was overrun with "mature" cruisers who griped about such petty things as not having two coffee creamers on the table. Each seemed to have had either a knee or hip replacement (or both) which caused any movement involving a group of people to slow down drastically. Even though one lady had to have her knee lifted each time she boarded the tour bus we took, she got off at every stop including those stops meant to be quick picture taking opportunities. To them, no meal was ever at the right temperature or "as good as the meal on the ______" (insert the name of any OTHER cruise ship). Many also failed to even read the cruise news about the simplest of procedures such as having your boarding pass when you go ashore. Some even thought that the lifeboat drill just didn't apply to them as they held their life vest without putting it on. I am 47 years old and hope never to be as cranky as this bunch was. I praise the patience of the Purser's Staff and the grief they had to put up with. How many times does one have to be told NOT to stand up on the tender to take pictures while it is running? I had a relatively good time. The food was plentiful and available. For the price that I (and probably most of these seniors) paid for the cruise, what did they expect. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Norway's captain was the same as we had on the Leeward last year. My room was cleaned quickly each time we left. Edgar our waiter was fantastic catering to our varying meal selections. Embarkation was much easier this year due to the direct transfer of luggage from the airport to the ship thus bypassing the "highway robbery" aka forced tipping of the white-helmeted dock workers (how much of that gets reported to the IRS?)