Noordam Cruise Review to Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

Fell short of expectations

Sail Date: August 01, 2013

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: Please note that I was a single traveler on the Noordam (11-day Ancient Mysteries - Voyage #N341). It was my second cruise with HAL in the past year. Despite the friendliness some members of the staff\, I was very unhappy with the following: 1) The toilet maintenance was a major issue - it took more than 6 hours (TWICE) to repair a malfunctioning toilet (which was attributed by your maintenance staff to an external flushing problem); 2) Even though I had paid for TWO persons rate\, I was awarded only ONE person's cruise points. Please note that as a single person\, I ate only one person's portion in the dining room. (This is an issue which needs to be resolved or I will not consider traveling with HAL again in the future); 3) I discovered from no less than 3 couples that although they had paid less I did than for their state rooms. They were nevertheless upgraded to a VA room whereas I was upgraded to a 'D' category from 'F'. I consider this to be grossly unfair (if not insulting). Please note that the Princess and Cunard Lines had treated me much more fairly than HAL in the past. 4) The quality of the restaurant food was not even. I was disappointed with the onion soup\, which was advertised as having GREYE cheese but discovered to be primarily mozzarella. My waiter confirmed this to be the case. I came from a family of food connaisseurs. I hope a senior staff member of HAL will call me to explain the discrepancies. Sincerely\, Robert Tang (Stateroom D-1041).

Pros: Restaurant and housekeeping staff

Cons: Malfunctioning toilet; unreasonable single supplement and upgrading policies (more later); disappointing shore excursions

Recommends Noordam? No.

Generally satisfactory but some staff were unfriendly
Reasonable except the uonion soup
Malfunctioning toilet but clean. Cabin staff were pleasant\, fortunately
Generally helpful (in the restaurant and cabin) except for a few\, including the Front Desk