Cruise a big disappointment

Noordam Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

Sail Date: June 01, 2010
Ship: Noordam
Cabin Type: Suite
It was hard to believe the Noordam was launched in 2006. Our cabin looked like something from 1966. Stained carpet, blonde wood from the 60's, a couple of prints hung too high on the walls, a small and dirty verandah, and a bathroom that flooded every time we took a shower. Some of the public rooms were attractive, but windows were dirty, and overall, they looked rather chintzy.
The food offered was fairly standard, but the presentations were lovely. Service was good some nights, slow others, but we adapted with a bottle of wine.
We saw our stewards, whom I named Cheach and Chong, exactly 3 times. I'm sure they work hard, but sometimes the room wasn't cleaned until late afternoon, and the cleaning was surface, not depth.
This was my 9th. cruise and it will be my last with any Holland American ship.

Accessibility was difficult for anyone in a wheelchair. Couldn't go out on decks because of practically being jolted out of the chair trying to get over the extra high thresholds. Princess ships have ramps leading out to their decks. I don't know why Holland American can't install a few.

Pros: The people we met on the ship.

Cons: Our "superior verandah suite."

Recommends Noordam? No.