Noordam Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

What a CLASSY AWESOME SHIP!!!!!

Sail Date: March 01, 2006

I have never sailed on Holland America before. Everything about this ship just "oozed" class. The decor was wonderful. The "library" was something I have never in all my cruising experienced before. Their travel section of books far surpassed a Barnes and Nobel! They had every "classic" novel you could imagine. Their DVD selection was limitless. The little side cafes were wonderful The Main dining room made you feel like you were in a very expensive restaurant and being attended to by 1st class waiter and waitresses. At first sight I thought the portions were rather small. However, by the end of my first dinner I had completely changed my mind. They were perfect as you had so much to eat BEFORE the "Main Entre" and I ALWAYS eat dessert when on a cruise and had just about enough room left to squeeze one down. The rooms were terrific. The beds were the most comfortable that I have slept on yet. They had comforters in duvet covers that were just the right weight so you were never too hot or cold. The room was always kept very clean by the room steward/ess. Every night there was either a fresh bowl of fruit waiting for you or if you still had remaining fruit more fruit to fill it up. I have never had this on any cruise either.
The whole ship was very very clean. The staff was formal yet polite and friendly at the same time. They had just the right mixture of all three to make you feel very comfortable. The ship had one absolutely broadway style show that was superb and another that was very good. However the rest either we didn't attend or felt that as on most cruise line left something to be desired. The gym was wonderful. My husband and I work out 3/4 times per week and we found the gym suited our needs very well. However, we do have a complaint. We are senior citizens as the majority of the population of the Holland America lines are BUT we are very active seniors( or Third Level citizens as the French say) and having a "No Jogging" sign posted on the only deck you could possibly jog on did not set well with us. We ran anyway but tried our best to do it when there was an absence of people. Another disappointment was that here were very few activities offered that had you moving. We went up when they offered volleyball but no one showed up but us and you can't play volleyball or basketball with only 2 people. I can only play so much bingo and I don't do art auctions which seems to be the main activities on the ship. On the up side and very important to both of us was the almost complete absence of the smell of "smoke"!!!! The only place we smelled it was in the casino and even there it wasn't all that bad. It was wonderful to see that all the little cozy places to have a drink before or after dinner had no smoking. To people who have asthma or allergies to smoking this was just delightful. We had a wonderful 10 days but had to make a lot of our own fun in the activities area. Would we sail on HA again. We are not sure. It certainly wouldn't be because the Noordam wasn't a first class ship because it was. It would be because there just wasn't enough activities for us to participate in. I do know that there will be a time when we too will slow down and not be able to jog or work out anymore or play volleyball etc but until that time we may have to consider another cruise line. The other possibility would be to choose a trip that wasn't as long as this one. My husband and I would still highly recommend the Noordam to anyone.

Pros: Almost everything