Noordam Cruise Review to Transatlantic

"The Greatest Cruise Ever"

Sail Date: September 01, 2006

Recently I had the opportunity to do a transatlantic cruise on the Noordam from Rome, Italy to New York, New York. When I got on the ship I was so impressed with the size and its beauty. It was by far the most elegant ship I have ever been on. Right from the beginning the crew who were Indonesian and Filipino were the best I have ever experienced. They could not do enough for you. It was amazing how they could remember so many names day after day. The food was very good and a large variety of meals. I loved all the different soups but they were somewhat salty. The eating areas, bathrooms and other public areas were always emaculate. Oh, the library and computer area impressed me like no other ship that I have been on. What a selection . Even a cafe to sit and have a latte. I've always wanted to do a transatlantic and I finally had the opportunity . The stops we made and the places we saw were unbelieveable. The Azores in the middle of nowherel. What beautiful islands and wonderful people. I would tell everyone to go there once in their lifetime. this is one trip I will always remember.

Pros: The crew,cleanliness of ship, places we visited, gentle water ways

Cons: The movie theatre

The shows were good but we felt that we had seen better shows on other ships. The best shows were those that were performed by the Indonesian's one night and the Filipino's on another night. We were disappointed in the movie theatre. for such a beautiful ship it lacked a true theatre . All the movies were just shown in a room. Unless you were in the first row you had difficulty seeing the picture. The selection of movies they showed were very good.
Some peope were saying they like a smaller ship, but I never felt that it was too big. It was very easy to get to anyplace you had to go. The decor was not gaudy just very tasteful. The ship was exceptionally clean.
The Grill their special restaurant had the best steaks. The atmosphere was delightful and we really enjoyed that special night out. The food in the main restaurant was very good all the time. Every night at 11:15PM they had a theme from a different country with a selection of their foods
The room was done up nicely. the size was great. The only thing is that we felt the room could of had more draw space for clothes. We even had a bathtub and shower.
The staff went above and beyond. They would come towards you when you were carrying your tray and carry it for you. They came around with coffee and would ask you if you needed anything. Also they got to know you and knew exactly for example how many waffles you wanted each morning. My husband loved those waffles for breakfast. I mustn't forget the fresh squeezed orange juice each morning. It was like my mom would make. Every morning the man Reynolds would have a morning song and he would go dowe the line of people and call each and everyone by their name. What a memory. He made you feel so special. In fact I taught him a few new songs that he will use for Halloween and Thanksgiving.