Ok cruise. Price was right.

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Nieuw Amsterdam

7 Night Western Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)

Sail Date: January 13, 2019

Ship: Nieuw Amsterdam

Reviewed: 10 days ago

Review Summary

I fit the age demographic for the ship (late 60s), but not a fan.

Embarkation

quick, but my agent's computer went out midway through check in so had to wait for another agent to finish

Ship Experiences

Food in main dining room was nicely done and well presented, but almost no variety on starches. If you are not a fan of couscous, quinoa or pollenta, give it up. Very little selection each day. I do not do buffets so cannot comment there.

Onboard activities is NOT an area where Holland America shines. We made our own fun.

Shows were good. Nothing exceptional, but good.

No children in our gr

Room steward was excellent, dining room staff was just ok and staff on pool deck, activity areas was almost nonexistant.

My first time for an inside cabin. I had to have the room steward do a special clean/oxidation of my bathroom and never did get rid of the outhouse smell. They tried, but it is ingrained. Very off-putting. Holland American did not offer me a different room or even a glass of wine, even though I complained to guest services and got the head of housekeeping involved. Very poor PR - totally negative impression for the line.

Ports Of Call

Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida

Land and Sea excursion - okay.

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island)

Nothing to do if you are not a beach person. We did a tram ride around the island. Nothing special

Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Jamaica is an incredibly poor country, as well as being dirty - litter everywhere.

George Town, Grand Cayman

Fabulous port. Clean.

Did a chocolate making and wine pairing excursion. Port has many, many shops at the pier.

Disembarkation

Very poor instructions. Did not even know which deck to go to until I went to the wrong one.