Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review to Transatlantic

Was expecting "Exceptional" but cruise was "Good"!

Sail Date: November 02, 2015

This was our first HAL cruise after being a fan of Celebrity for years!  We expected at least equal to or even better but I'd say definitely not in the same category.

The ship was lovely, no complaints!  The overall experience was good!  The food just did not match up to Princess, Celebrity and get this, not even Carnival.

My 87 year old Mother and I took the Carnival Breeze and the experience was far above that of HAL. I was shocked, both at Carnival and HAL. Carnival did a wonderful job. Is Carnival my line of choice, No!  I prefer an older crowd, fewer twenty somethings, fewer children.....but the experience was still very good and the food on Carnival exceeded our expectations.  No comparison. What's odd is that both lines are owned by Carnival Corp.

Bottom line, I'd take the HAL ship and the food and service of the Carnival Breeze. I specifically refer to the Breeze because it was an exceptional experience, and wonderful ship......not sure if all Carnival ships would offer the same experience.

Smaller that most but still very nice. If you like a bathtub, you got it with this cabin!
Embarkation in Barcelona was very good. Disembarkation in Ft. Lauderdale was terrible, long, long lines with all your luggage in hand and no porters....again no comparison to our experience with the Carnival Breeze! What can I say! Cannot believe I'm saying this but that's how it is.
Children's Programs I have no idea as there were almost NO kids around.....th biggest PLUS for us being over 65.....
Entertainment Cannot really evaluate as we are not very into many of the activities and venues.
Manhattan Dining Room not well organized!
Barcelona, Spain
Alicante, Spain
Malaga, Spain
Cadiz (Seville), Spain
Ponta Delgada, Azores Due to weather conditions, we had to skip this port which we so were looking forward to.
Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida
Again, disembarkation was a disaster....don't be in any kind of a hurry! The plus though is that HAL permits guests to remain in their cabins until their group is called AND a full room service breakfast menu is available....definitely a plus....but keep in mind, the Carnival Breeze also offered us this added amenity!

We had "As you wish" dining and it worked out fine! Desserts are not worth the calories......ask HAL to bring the "Chocolate Melting Cake" from Carnival to HAL.....best dessert you will ever have. My thoughts......the executives of HAL need to have a few meals on the Carnival Breeze....!