Wonderful cruise but could've been better.

MSC Seaside Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

MSC Seaside

7 Night Western Caribbean & Bahamas (Miami Roundtrip)

Sail date: August 10, 2019

Ship: MSC Seaside

Cabin type: Balcony

Traveled as: Large Group

Review summary

While the ship was beautiful and enormous, personally I will only return if I could afford being in the Yacht Club since pretty much was included. There were just too many drink packages to contend with - one package included gratuities while another one didn't but had more options. Why is Gelato optional when it's an Italian ship, yet ice cream was free but not always available? There were many more Europeans (as expected) than any other countries including Americans. Because of the diverse languages and cultures, communications among the passengers were difficult so people were left with entering the buffet line from the "exit" causing chaos; while others were cutting in line and not even apologizing. The Kids Club needs to separate the age groups a bit better instead of putting pre-teens with kids have their age. Although there were plenty of food to eat in the buffets, the selections were repetitive for the most part. This was my nineth cruise but first with MSC. While I might have enjoyed my cruise, I would most likely not return for another sail.

Embarkation

While I had to submit my profile picture to check in online, I still had my picture taken at the check in desk.

Ship experiences

The MDR's food was okay, lack of variance, service could've been faster but the staff was doing the best they can to plate thousands of plates at one time. It's an Italian ship, yet Tiramisu wasn't on the dessert menu nor was Gelato - I found that odd. Some of the items on the buffets were delicious, although the items didn't vary at all. We did the DUO (Butcher's Cut and Teppanyaki). Butcher's Cut was so-so, nothing spectacular while the Teppanyaki was delicious and entertaining.

Seashore Restaurant

Food was average - Bar service was slow - Dining room staff worked very hard to deliver food but still took about 20 minutes per course.

My daughter enjoyed the zipline, bowling and the 5D ride. Even though there was a charge, the lines were still long if you don't have reservations.

For the most part, the nightly entertainment in the Theatre were good. The Michael Jackson tribute was the best out of all the shows. There were some very good performers, just unfortunate the performance were the same regardless of the wardrobe or setting. Example, there were a couple of contortionists, their outfits might have changed or the stage set was different, you knew they were going to contort. That might sound petty. But again, the performances were still better than some other cruise lines.

Unfortunately my daughter (11 years old) was placed together with 6 years old (6-11) so she felt much older and was easily bored. This was the first cruise where my daughter did not want to return to the Kids Camp daily.

Overall, the staff was professional and courteous!!!1

The Seaside was definitely one of the more beautiful ship I've experienced.

The balcony cabin was your typical cruise cabin. There were enough closet space as long as you store your luggage under the bed. The bathroom was adequate but I felt the shower stall was a bit smaller than other cruise lines.

Ship tip

Cruise with an open mind, flexible palate and lots of patience. I believe "Americans" were the minority on the ship so with that comes a well diverse group of passengers and their cultures. While it was a fun experience traveling with people around the world, mostly Europeans, the language barrier proved to be a thing at times especially when people were cutting in line or just plain aggressive.

Ports of call

Miami, Florida

Simple, nothing special. No excursions.

Ocho Rios, Jamaica

It was easy getting off the ship. We did the Dunn's River Express - awesome experience and would recommend. Just know, it's a little more strenuous than lead on and bring water shoes.

George Town, Grand Cayman

Beautiful! We did the Turtle Farm and Wildlife Adventure. One of the best experience, being able to hold a sea turtle and later being able to snorkel with them along with other beautiful fishes. Another fun experience was in the aviary where birds would eat off your hands. I would recommend especially if you have children.

We went to Nochi Cocum which I highly recommend if you want to take a break from the crowds and the noise. The price was very reasonable and included all foods and alcohol. It has a nice pool, a private beach with chairs and umbrellas. There are off shore snorkeling for extra $$ if you want.

Nassau, Bahamas Did not visit port

Been there too many times so stayed on board to enjoy the emptiness. But I would recommend Blue Lagoon and of course Atlantis.

Disembarkation

It was nice and easy. Probably took about 30 minutes from room to outside.