Filter reviews by

Sorted by

1.0

MSC Preziosa by tsanti20

Ship: MSC Preziosa / Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean

My Fiancé and I decided to take this cruise last minute while we were travelling to Rome.  We were on this ship from June 19-26.  Got on the Civitavecchia port in Rome.  We booked this cruise for our Birthdays, and boy were in for a surprise.  After paying an arm and a leg to be on this cruise, you would think to get treated like royalty.  If you wanted a vacation filled with excitement, fun and relaxation, this is not the cruise ship for you.  The food was mediocre, Service was horrible, Ports were not the best and the activities on the ship lacked fun.  Let me start off with the food, as eating is one of my favourite things to do on vacation.  Each bite I took off my plate felt like I was eating a spoon full of salt.  The food was tasteless and way to salty for my taste buds. Even the cakes were so salty.  Service on the other hand was even more terrible than the food.  All the workers had a frown on their face.  It was just so depressing to look at.  Every worker on the ship tried to sell a package to us.  This was getting so irritating because we already had an all-inclusive drink package.  When we sat down at the bar, the bartender would not serve us because he had too many drinks to make.  It took thirty minutes to get a drink.  When I went to guest services to see what could be done about this, the answer they gave me was that the ship had too many people (4500) therefore, I could not receive the service I am looking for.  Seriously, I did not pay so much to be on a ship and get treated so badly.  They should not be boarding that many people, when they cannot accommodate their guests. The ports we docked on had extra cost to get to land.  Shuttles were not included.  If you had excursions booked, shuttles were not included in with the prices for the excursion, which was definitely a rip off.  There were a few activities on the ship, and I felt like I was being harassed to participate.  I wanted to sit down enjoy a drink, read my book and relax.  Instead, I was being harassed/forced to join the group of people who wanted to participate.  It should be up to the person to join or not.  Finally, on our last day, we requested to have our luggages picked up early, due to having an early flight.  After guest services promised us that we were on the first priority list, come the day when we received our tickets for disembarkation, we were the last to be out.  I had lost all hope on this ship, and decided that this will be the last MSC cruise we ever take.  By the end of the cruise, I was so stressed out, irritated and just really wanted to get out of the ship.

1.0

Worst cruise line I have been on by Gajones14

Ship: MSC Preziosa / Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean

Worst cruise line I have ever sailed with. Terrible service, stained bed linen, cold food in dining room.

When complaining to reception just ignored or lied to.

Booked a Fantastica cabin on a three week cruise and were given basic cabin on the lowest deck A total rip off, and when I wrote to complain was not given an adequate answer and no offer of a refund for the wrong cabin class.

I would not recommend this cruise line to any one.

3.0

“EVERY CLOUD HAS A SILVER LINING” - a luxury cruise with a lot of “BUTs…” by Leonard1104

Ship: MSC Preziosa / Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean

The arrival and the embarkation had indeed a WOW factor. When the transfer bus stopped a butler was waiting for us already, he took care of our luggage and escort us to the special Yacht Club check-in area. A welcome buffet with some nibbles and Prosecco was waiting for us, the check-in formalities were quick and after that another butler escorted us straight to the ship passing all the lines and queues. We spend around 10 minutes in the Concierge area to have our credit card registered and we were escorted to the room. Our luggage was already there. From our arrival at the airport to entering the room we needed only 1h30minutes. Impressive and well done MSC!The arrival and the embarkation had indeed a WOW factor. When the transfer bus stopped a butler was waiting for us already, he took care of our luggage and escort us to the special Yacht Club check-in area. A welcome buffet with some nibbles and Prosecco was waiting for us, the check-in formalities were quick and after that another butler escorted us straight to the ship passing all the lines and queues. We spend around 10 minutes in the Concierge area to have our credit card registered and we were escorted to the room. Our luggage was already there. From our arrival at the airport to entering the room we needed only 1h30minutes. Impressive and well done MSC!

There are 20 bars, including the new Diamond Bar that's one of the quieter venues and two outside pool bars. Others include the Green Sax jazz bar, chic El Dorado piano bar and the large Safari Lounge that hosts smaller shows with a very annoying animation team and has a dance floor. Our favourite place was with no doubts Green Sax with nice deco and good music (especially the mix duo Romanian-Ukrainian); and of course an amazing Romanian bartender, Vlad, who’s cocktails very close to perfection in mixology.

BUT … MSC having a very cosmopolitan crowd on board all the announcements are done in 6 languages…even the safety ones (can you imagine if you speak Japanese you will be the last one to find that the ship is sinking…oops…sounds like Costa Concordia story). The annoying thing is that while you enjoy a lovely cocktail with some good music in the lounge the charm is destroyed by a Chinese man screaming on PA system something that’s sound like a menu in a Chinese Takeaway. Priceless moment(s)!

This is not a ship where the majority of passengers are running to bed before midnight. The main entertainment venue is the 1,600-seat two-story Platinum Theatre on Decks 6 and 7. The emphasis is on visual shows which supposed to appeal to an international audience. The theatre is, once again, like the entire ship impressive and has all the ads on to host amazing shows.

BUT… MSC definitely cut costs in the entertainment department because I never saw such a poor offer in my entire “cruiser career”. The cast, sets and costume are repetitive and the production are just a line-up of well-known songs with no concept or imagination. The dancer were quite good but looking at their performance you can realise the different background and training: ballroom, cabaret, street dance. It was a repetitive performance of how they couldn’t manage to synchronize their movements every night and lift their hands or legs in a random order, for sure not created by the choreographer. As I said the dancing was not so bad. What really made me leave the theatre before the end of the show were the two leading voices…Painful most of the time, far from being a duo when was a need for that, more interested in their stage pose than their vocal performance and managing to kill every song in a very personal and powerful way. Worse than the first pre-pre-pre-pre selection for XFactor in Margate! I wonder if MSC found that Italians invented big lavish TV entertainment on Canale5 or they host every year the high quality Festival San Remo ?

MSC Voyagers Club

Is the scheme for frequent travellers on board of MSC ships. All cruise lines offer a series of benefits depending the level that you have in the framework. MSC made a step forward, trying to encourage passengers from other lines to try MSC by offering them the equivalent status they have attained in their loyalty club in the MSC Voyagers Club. Genial marketing idea !

BUT…in reality is a little bit different. We are Diamond on Cunard and Platinum on NCL so we got an equivalent Black level on MSC. A statement from the line said: "As with the previous MSC Club, members qualify for a whole range of benefits and extras which increase as they rise up the membership tiers. Gold and Black members will now receive additional tier benefits as standard. The only benefits that you will get is a Welcome back cocktail, Complimentary basket of fresh fruit in cabin, Complimentary MSC Voyagers club photo, Complimentary speciality restaurant dinner (no beverages), MSC Voyagers Club black party, MSC Voyagers Club chocolate ship, Complimentary dancing class sounds more like budget scheme the a loyalty one. And don’t expect to get all of this without asking. In two weeks we manage to get the party invitation, the chocolate ships and the free dinners. Actually, quite sad, the person who supposed to be your Voyagers Club host and the one who can make you to book another cruise with MSC, the Cruise Consultant, was the rudest and unprofessional person on board. When we try to speak with Melanie about another booking she push her hand in our faces and shout at us to wait because she was busy! If she’s working on commission for sure she lost a lot and she needs some training in customer service. And reading the online reviews the changes in their benefits for Voyagers Club members is not very popular.

3.0

Average cruise, horrible food by TTan

Sail date: / Traveled as: Large Group
Ship: MSC Preziosa / Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean

I should have listened to the other reviewers who gave this cruise mediocre reviews but unfortunately this was the only cruise with dates that would fit our schedule. We boarded in Barcelona for a one week cruise to Marseille, Genoa, Civitavecchia, Palermo and Malta.  We booked our own excursions through Viator which were great- electric biking in Marseille and a private tour with Domenico in Rome and explored the other ports on our own since I had read that the cruise excursion packages were not very good.  It was nice to wake up to a new port each morning.  However the entertainment on the boat was very limited as was the swimming and non existent multi-purpose/basketball court that I had read in the cruise description, plus the two lane bowling alley was a miniature of a real one.  On top of that, the food and service at the sit down dinners were horrible.  By the second night, everyone opted to do the buffet, not that the food was better but that we can just eat and be done with it.  It was not an enjoyable dining experience that you would look forward to, unlike on other cruises that we have gone on. We ended up doing three nights at the specialty restaurants, two at Galaxy and one a Italia.  The food and service were better but at a premium. The one unexpected bonus from the trip were the photo portraits that were taken.  We got many wonderful family and individual photos taken by professional photographers and the prices were beautiful and very reasonably priced.  We bought 25 and they gave you a special price of $199 for all of them which included the photos and the digital files.  Overall the cruise was fine but I would not recommend MSC if you can find another cruise line.

2.0

Get ready to be nickel-and-dime'd by idiedric

Sail date: / Traveled as: Family (young children)
Ship: MSC Preziosa / Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean

Need to use WIFI? They will charge you €16.50 per hour. Need a soda or juice with your meal? You will need to pay for it. Only thing you get to drink with meal is water or very bad coffee/tea. There are no towels in any of the pool or water play areas. You need to bring your towels from the room. If you lose any towels, that will cost you €20 per towel. MSC will attach €8.50 per person per day to your bill as a "Service Charge". You can have it removed by going to guest services. Kids want to play games - you can at a cost of €2 per game. Pretty much no useful TV channels. Of course you can pay for a movie instead, at least €7.99 Sub-standard food and entertainment.

A review of MSC PREZOSIA we... by CCSeasider1953

Ship: MSC Preziosa

A review of MSC PREZOSIA we had to fly from gatwick as there were no manchester flights. Cost £699 including flights. Firstly Gatwick was far better for clearing security. One at Genoa collecting bags and clearing security was simple Transfer to ship only took 5/10 minutes Check in was painless. On board in 10 minutes Once on board we were pleasantly surprised by the ship(even if it was a bit too blingy for our taste! Too many mirrors and sparkles) Cabin was a good size for an inside. And spotlessly clean. The ship is big and very busy around the pool A lot of hustle and bustle, it reminded me of a busy Spanish or Italian beach at sea. They do have a rather pushy nature about them, but not intentionally rude, just their nature and needs a bit of understanding. Loved the endless pool and bar at the back of the ship. Entertainment was a bit eurovisiony The bars were well separated and I liked the il cappuccino bar for coffees was nice for a coffee or after dinner drink The food was IMO Very good Breakfast was plentiful in the buffet(never did the restaurant,but others who did, said it was good). Lunch was great lots of pizzas and pastas Carvery section ,salad bar, bread cheeses and lots of fruit and veg. Dinner consisted of starter/salad /soup /pasta course/main course and dessert. With choice of two starters two soups one salad two past dishes 3/4 main courses and 3/4 dessert. Main course lacked vegetables but lots to eat over the 6 courses. Personally loved the evening meals, not everybody would agree with me. Very good buffet and late buffet pizzas were fab!!! Service was good but not always great. Then there was the allegressimo drinks package! £22 a day!! Well this is a must!! Coffees and croissant available in the morning Different Coffees available all day! Free water, soft drinks Beer wine cocktails shorts(ie bacardi gordons beefeater not bombay) Worth every penny. Not the same as P&O' or celebrity But a lively change Something I would do again! but not every year. Overall £853 plus €60 tips for 7 days great value for a fun lively cruise

An AMAZING Cruise ship! by NYCFinAdvisor

Ship: MSC Preziosa / Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean

I also LOVE the "PREZIOSA"!

After sailing on the DIVINA twice, and having a fantastic time on board in both occasions, we decided we wanted to take another trip on board another MSC Cruise ship.  We learned that the PREZIOSA, the DIVINA's sister vessel and one year "younger", goes around the Western Mediterranean in the summer time, so we booked another AMAZING MSC trip on the PREZIOSA out of Rome (Civitaveccia) on June.

Me and my family have cruised to Brazil, in the Caribbean, and now in this great ship in the Mediterranean!  Everything is almost the same as in the DIVINA, as it is its twin-sister ship, so we "felt at home".  We also loved this ship and its crew - attentive and responsive ALL THE TIME.  The cabins with balconies at the back of the ship are very big and comfortable, and the balconies are HUGE!  You can fit 2 lounge chairs to sunbathe as well, in addition to the 2 chairs and table provided in the balconies.  This was perfect for us, because the view from the back of the ship has NO COMPARISON to the view from the other cabins on the sides of the ship (which are great also).

The food on board IS EXCELLENT too, with more European flavors in the menus, and great quality and variety as well, day in and day out!  AND, the specialty restaurants are also very, very good, including "the Pizzeria" on the 7th floor (it has its own wood-fired pizza oven), it is also AMAZING!  you have to try it, THE BEST PIZZA ever! (MSC should start a Pizza chain in Italy..... the best pizza I've ever eaten in Europe).

Having cruised on the DIVINA twice, and this time on board the PREZIOSA, MSC did not let us down.... Without a doubt, we will continue traveling with them into the future.  QUALITY and GREAT SERVICE, have been the norm on board these 2 cruise ships.  In this third cruise with MSC, our experience with the PREZIOSA was AMAZING as well.

MSC has done a fantastic job with these 2 ships, their largest and newest ships in their fleet; we will cruise with them AGAIN and AGAIN.  The "european" culture in the PREZIOSA, and also in the DIVINA, is way above other American cruise lines experience; this european cruising culture and great Italian service is way above other cruise lines...... comparable to Celebrity and just below Cunard, but excellent overall.

Ah, and don't forget to go to the Theater Show, every night.  The shows are spectacular, as good as in the DIVINA.  The shows are also in par to Broadway shows.  I think no other cruise line has the shows that the PREZIOSA, and the DIVINA, have on board, simply AMAZING!

The PREZIOSA, another AMAZING cruise ship! by NYCFinAdvisor

Ship: MSC Preziosa / Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean

I also LOVE the "PREZIOSA"!

4.2

nice trip by jjbj

Ship: MSC Preziosa / Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean

nice roundtrip eat ice in sicilie and ride horse and carriage ,walk around in Mallorca etc etc

Absolutely perfect! Had nothing to... by C97

Ship: MSC Preziosa

Absolutely perfect! Had nothing to complain about... Friendly staff, fantastic food, great entertainment and so much more... I can go on and on about how amazing this trip was!

5.0

Great ship! Everything was fabulous!... by join

Ship: MSC Preziosa

Great ship! Everything was fabulous! I'm a pizza eater, so was my Paradise. The cabin (a balcony one) was great, big and comfortable. No sea sickness because the ship runs very smooth. The shows were quite nice and the entertainment zones always crowded. Bottom line, I definitely will use MSC again.

5.0

fabulous first cruise on a fabulous ship by auntywaff

Ship: MSC Preziosa / Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

Oh my goodness, we have just returned from a fantastic holiday with MSC on the Preziosa and I would certainly cruise with them again, I can’t understand why there are so many bad reviews on here? The ship was immaculate, it gleamed everywhere. The staff were friendly and ready to help whenever they could, yes sometimes there was a wait for bar service, but we were on holiday and in no rush, so we would just sit back, people watch and wait for a staff member to get around to us. English was spoken by all of the staff so there was never a language barrier and the majority of the passengers were from foreign shores so it was like a proper foreign holiday not a butlins holiday camp!

We boarded the ship in venice and were told we could book in from 12.00. As it happens we arrived at the port at 11am but we just followed the queues and were on board early with very little delay. We caught the Alilaguna boat from St.Marks to the cruise terminal which was great, 8E plus 3E for a suitcase, although on the return journey the lady in the kiosk told us we didn’t need to pay extra for the luggage.

We ate in the L’Arabesque dining room every night and were sat with a lovely South African couple who became good friends with us. The waiter service in there was exceptional; it was great getting all dressed up and being treated like royalty. The menu was varied and with 7 courses to choose from there was always something nice to enjoy, and if a dish wasn’t to your taste they quickly whisked it away and brought you something else. We regularly had 5 courses and were never over faced. We had the drinks package which meant the bottles of wine were ready and waiting for us at the table when we arrived, our waiter always remembered what we drank! There was also bottled water and an amazing selection of fresh bread rolls brought to the table.

We had breakfast in the buffet which was chaotic, but we would just find a table, either alone or sharing with another couple and then cruise around the wonderful selection of food filling our plates with far too much food! Breakfast can also be ordered directly to your cabin using the complementary breakfast room service so we always had a drink in the cabin whist getting ready for the day, and we had the full continental breakfast delivered on the morning where we were off the ship for 8am. At lunchtime we would just cruise through the buffet picking up a salad or a wrap etc.....but be fair, the pizza always won us over and ended up being the snack of choice for us both! You can eat at the tables on the deck outside the buffet area which was always a preferred choice for us....and a cheeky cocktail was always nice to finish the meal off with. The ice cream on board was also fantastic, I’m a bit of an ice cream snob, but that stuff was awesome and included in the drinks package!

The cabin was fantastic, we had opted for a balcony one and I’m so glad we did. It was a real treat being able to sit out there before the evening meal...a quiet haven of peace with a perfect view. It was nice to be able to get fresh air into the cabin too, the Aircon was great but nothing beats fresh air. The bathroom was fine too, our friends had an inside cabin and they struggled with a small shower, but ours was fine so again worth the extra we paid for the balcony. The cabin steward was in there twice a day making the bed up and turning it down again at night, we never saw her but she did a great job. The mini bar was a bit of a waste of time, although we did keep a couple of cans in there to cool. You are charged if you drink from it, including the bottled water, however both cans and bottles are available from the bars around the ship so a bit of forward planning was all that was required to have drinks in the cabin. We also regularly took coffees, cocktails and snacks to the cabin and there was no issue with this.

The 30 mins shows in the evening were “entertaining” ! We regularly had a chuckle at their productions, but maybe not for the right reasons sometimes. It’s only half an hour so give them a go, but don’t forget to take a drink along with you!

We didn’t take any of the MSC excursions; in fact we only did the one private excursion to Olympia with a company booked through ShoreBee who were waiting just outside the port gates, Katakolon is only a small town but you could pass an hour around the small shops and in the seafront cafes. At Bari we just strolled into the town as it’s only about a ten min walk, not too much to see but a nice seafront with lots of fishermen preparing squid which was a sight to see. Izmir was a bit of a nightmare as the taxi dropped us just outside the bazaar, even though I’d asked for Konak square, and a “friendly” shop keeper met us from the car and wanted us to check out his shop. But we just declined and headed off on our own; make sure you have a map of the area as the signs aren’t too good. Inside the bazaar it was fine, the shop keepers just allowed you to browse at your own leisure and it’s just a nice size to pass an hour. At Istanbul we walked about five mins from the port towards the bridge to pick up the tram, make sure you have Turkish lira to pay for the tokens. It’s cheap and a fast way to get around the city. We did the blue mosque, which had a huge queue although we did wonder if we could have bypassed it and gone through the entrance for prayers that was in the courtyard but this would only work if you were properly attired as the loan headscarf’s and  trousers are only available as you approach the main entrance. The Hagia Sophia  was well worth the entrance fee, although buying a ticket was a nightmare as there was little direction as to where to go for a single ticket, the museum passes seemed to be the preferred  ticket choice but they are of course more expensive. Make sure you go up to the gallery as it’s even more spectacular from up there. The basilica cistern was also worth the visit, it’s an unusual place and if the photo booth inside hasn’t a big queue when you go in treat yourselves to a silly photo! We never got to the bazaar as we ran out of time but I heard it was huge compared to Izmir.

Dubrovnik has to be one of the best ports, we taxied to the old town, about 30min drive because of traffic, and then walked around the walls. The view is fabulous from up there, the town looks beautiful. But make sure you take a drink and visit the loo before you set off! We stopped at the Buza bar, the bar on the rocks but this can’t be accessed from the walls, you have to get down from the wall and then try and find it! But the view was lovely and the cider well worth the trip. A little haven of peace. The harbour area is worth a visit, the waves were crashing on the rocks when we went. I was gutted we didn’t get up the cable car, I had planned for us to do that first, but the taxi took us straight to the old town and it was then a climb up to the cable car station we decided to give it a miss. If you are taxiing back to the ship leave plenty of time, there was a huge queue when we went about 45mins before the ship was due to leave.

My only complaint with MSC was the lack of information we got from them prior to the holiday and about the ports during the holiday. There were 2 gala/formal nights and 3 theme nights (white/Italian/60’s,70’s & 80’s) in the main dining room however this was not communicated to us until the night before. We knew of passengers who then had to go out the following day and buy a shirt for a formal evening. MSC are very focused on selling their excursions so they do not produce any information about the port and sights that are worth travelling to, so the best information I could give anyone would be to do the research before, google is a valuable tool!

So as you can see we loved this holiday and would definitely book with MSC again

3.0

A relaxing and wonderful cruise! by slaterjg

Ship: MSC Preziosa / Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

The ship was spotless and sparkling!

Fantastica accoglienza e ospitalità. Cibo... by GiuseppeUk

Ship: MSC Preziosa

Fantastica accoglienza e ospitalità. Cibo eccellente e splendide escursioni. Abbiamo preso una cabina con balcone ampia ed accogliente. Se volete una vacanza al top vi consiglio di prendere il pacchetto completo di bevande.Non cambieremo di sicuro Msc.

No Coffee In Main Dining Room by johnnyboy

Ship: MSC Preziosa / Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

The cruise was excellent and the staff was friendly as well as professional. The excursions offer at port side was superior . There were lots of activities for the youth as well as the adults.  I enjoyed the musical  each night as well as creating the tee-shirts in arts and crafts, the only thing that was missing for me was the coffee in the main dining room.

4.0

Will Definitely Do Again by MMJ

Ship: MSC Preziosa / Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

This is our second ever cruise and the second with MSC.  From all the reviews I have read, this is a very different experience than cruising on RCL, Carnival, Princess, etc.  There are no rock climbing walls, skating rinks or "neighborhoods," however, this really suits our family.  We have two teenage children who traveled with us and they really like the experience as well.  For this trip, we booked our room in the "Yacht Club" and will not ever travel any other way.  The "Yacht Club" only accommodates about 200 people and you are rarely, if ever, with all 200 people. The ship is beautiful and accommodates about 4000 passengers.  We cruise for the experience of visiting other countries and cultures and get off the ship at each port and don't spend time sunbathing or some of the other games that the staff was leading out by the pools.  The other big plus for us was that children 17 and under cruise at a very reduced rate.  We did try two of the specialty restaurants that are offered for an extra cost, but were not all that impressed.  The food served in our dining room was very good.  However, if you are looking for meat and potatoes every night, an Italian cruise line is probably not the way to go.  We liked the shows, although music was mostly in Italian, still very enjoyable.  Other reviewers have complained about excursions on this line, but we enjoyed each and every one we went on.  Can't wait to do this again.

MSC Preziosa by davidtier

Ship: MSC Preziosa / Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

Overall pretty good. It had some flaws\, though. Some places were overcrowded. The excursions could have been better and were probably overpriced. However\, the basic services like food and entertainment were great.

Very Disappointing Experience by napoleon3322253

Ship: MSC Preziosa / Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

My wife and I have been on 7 cruises before, all on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, or Carnival but this was our first MSC cruise.  We chose this cruise because it started in Venice and cruised the Eastern Med during early April and that's what we wanted.

Check-in was a 3-hour process of waiting in long lines with nothing provided by MSC to make passengers comfortable (uncomfortable waiting area, limited access to restrooms, no food/water provided, etc.).  After check-in, we had to wait in line another hour to "register" our credit card and another hour in line to "confirm" our excursion reservations.  All this in spite of having done all of this previously with the MSC Web Check-In two weeks prior.  As far as I can tell, the web check-in has no function and the check in process is a nightmare.

At first blush, the ship was very nice having recently been renovated.  Most cabins have large balconies and they all appear to have unobstructed views.  The rooms were larger and better furnished than any previous cruise that we have had.

There were, however, big problems here too.  The bed lacked sheets or a blanket the first night, just a mattress, and we were told that bed linens would be provided.  When they had not been by 10 or so PM, I went roaming the halls and stole some from an unattended cart on another deck.  There was an "interactive" TV but I never found useful information on it concerning our ports of call, the ship, or excursions.  It could not access our account.  We sent 4 articles of clothing to be cleaned in the laundry service -- it took a full 3 days for the clothing to be returned.  A minor but important point:  neither us nor anyone we talked to ever had a little "towel animal" as part of the cabin service -- apparently that's not done on this ship.

There were two places to eat on the boat not counting the pay restaurants (of which there were several).  One was the buffet which only had food a few hours of the day and during those brief times the place was badly overcrowded.  No table service and inadequate bussing staff so if you were lucky enough to find a vacant table, odds were that it would still have the plates from the previous set(s) of diners.  The buffet itself had a very limited set of choices and the food was not particularly appetizing.  No drinks were included with the buffet but you could find tap water in the ice machines.  One of the most infuriating aspects of the buffet was how the crew members would come and push their way in front of you to feed themselves.

The other place to eat was in one of the two assigned dinner restaurants.  We were assigned the L'Arabesque which also had breakfast for the ship.  The food here was WAY too salty in a fairly transparent ploy to sell more drinks.  No drinks were included with the meal without additional fee -- you even had to pay for water.  Americans received coupons for 6 "waters" at check-in so apparently there have been complaints about this in the past.

By the way, the breakfast offered in this restaurant was very nice and fully "cruise ship grade."  The food was good, staff attentive, the entire operation run efficiently.  Whoever runs that breakfast ought to be promoted to chief of dining services (and whoever is the current chief should be fired).

I think that we were most put off by the attitude of the crew toward the passengers.  You almost never received a smile or hello, they never offered to help, they were often confrontational or even cruel.  With the exception of the breakfast staff, our courteous cabin attendant and friendly (but badly overloaded) dinner waiter, every interaction with the crew members was neutral or negative, never positive.

The shows were very lame.  Each night was the same stage set, the same performers with essentially the same show:  singing, dancing, some acrobatics all to canned music.  The only thing that changed from night to night was the songs and the costumes (which were simple and crude).  The performers themselves were talented but were really just regular crew members and, during the day, you would see them bussing tables, waitressing in bars, etc.  I doubt that MSC spent more than $1,000 in all of the theater shows combined for the entire cruise.

The port calls were very short: 4 - 5 hours typically.  In spite of this, it took a full hour to disembark for an excursion and another hour to re-embark the ship.  So, if you had an excursion, nearly half of the time in port was spent simply getting off and then back onto the ship.  One of the reasons for this is that the ship uses very cheap hand-held scanners rather than the much faster autofeeding scanner machines used by the other cruise lines.  Because of the lost time, the excursions were all much shorter than advertised, did not go to all of the advertised sites, and were very rushed.   Truly, MSC's procedures made each port of call a chore and hardly worth the effort.

Even more maddening, at several of the ports of call, all of the ship excursions went to the same "demonstration" which were actually pressure sales jobs.  We experienced a leather company that pressured us to buy overpriced leather jackets and, on another excursion, a carpet-making company that tried to sell us $8,000 rugs.  Both of these trips were very disagreeable and, since all excursions went to the very same places, I have to assume they were required parts of the contract with MSC that the independent excursion company had to agree to do.  Presumably MSC gets a kick-back from this reprehensible practice.

The ship had far too many passengers for its modest amenities.  The "aqua-park" is sized for a ship with half as many passengers; the atrium area sized for a ship a third of this size.  As a result, there are long lines for everything, everything is overcrowded.  Imagine waiting in line for an hour so that you can get into an 6-foot wide jacuzzi with 8 other people.

Check-out was just as nightmarish as check-in -- it took us 4 hours even though we had no questions on our bill.

There are a lot of problems on this boat and we did not meet any fellow passengers who intended on taking another MSC cruise.  We did meet a few people who had had MSC cruises before and they all said that they were so disappointed in this one that they might not do another one.

I know that my wife and I won't be on another MSC cruise and, as a result of this one, I will never recommend them to anyone.

The cruise was new and nice. by aliceg88

Ship: MSC Preziosa / Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

New ship\, but service was not good.

Great excursions very disappointing ship by toddw59

Ship: MSC Preziosa / Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

Cabin was nice. Way too crowded. Crew didn't care (except for housekeepers who always smiled and spa employees who were professional). Frequently would have to move out of the way of employees as they walked around the ship.

Find a cruise on MSC Preziosa