MSC Poesia Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Run while you still can!

Sail Date: November 01, 2010

This was a simply awful cruise - read the detailed sections below for the nitty gritty, but be aware that one of the biggest surprises is that this ship was hosting for the second year in a row a rock and roll convention with tattooed biker chicks and long-haired rock duds hanging all over it. They interrupted pool time with extremely loud concerts among other things. The cruise line never disclosed this event at any point during the booking process - we planned a relaxing vacation and got a headache - consider it a bait-and-switch.

Pros: Beautiful new ship

Cons: Bad service, bad food, bad crew

Recommends MSC Poesia? No.

Large and clean, but very gaudy - lots of brass and bad color schemes. Public areas were not nearly as clean as they should have been. Nearly always saw crew wiping down the brass handrails to keep finger prints off, yet dirty dishes literally stacked up on tables in the cafeteria.
Large, nice stateroom, but they were missing some basic amenities. For instance, there was no hand lotion. I ran out of toilet paper and hand soap and had to find it. There were only two small pillows on the bed and two towels in the bath. I ended up using my one extra towel to prop up my pillow!
Food was exceptionally bad - much was cold, or was visibly old. I "loved" how they would recycle dinner and serve it at the buffet like it was new. Restaurants were poorly served, and the buffet was dirty at best - always tons of dirty plates and glasses scattered about. Usually had to sit at a dirty table. Bartenders couldn't and wouldn't mix drinks well - I couldn't understand how youre paying for a drink and they still can't make it taste like there is anything in it. They also have no knowledge of mixology. We wanted to get a shot of something and asked for suggestions - the bartender could barely respond "rum", "vodka"...
All in all, I'm not picky at all about food, but what they served was consistently awful.
Staff is generally rude - we ended up holding doors for them as they barged through. The crew is heavily European and indonesian and English is barely spoken at best - not like other ships I have been on - communication is a major challenge on this boat which makes the simplest of activates a major pain
Not a lot going on. Guessing it had a lot to do with the fact that the bulk of the ship was booked by a private, rowdy group.