MSC Orchestra Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

The Worst Cruise we have been on.

Sail Date: January 01, 2009

We were so excited to go on our new MSC cruise in Jan. but as soon as we got on board and went to lunch we knew we picked the wrong cruise line. The lunch buffet was awful the meats were over cooked and the vegetables were bland. The desert selection consistend of sheet cake with pink icing. This did not change through out the cruise, everyday a sheet cake with a differant color icing. Towards the end of the cruise they did start putting out the leftover deserts from the previous nights dinner. The breakfast buffet left little to choose from the scrambled eggs were fine but the fried eggs were burnt and crisp. Lots of can fruits and pastries that were dried out and hard. The oatmeal and yolgurt was good and safe. I have never had pork and beans for breakfast but on this ship they were out for you at breakfast. Lunches stayed the same through out the week and I though the salad bar would be ok but the selection was very odd. 1 type of lettuce, cooked lentil beans, carrots, olives and diced potatoes was one example of the bar. Very limited on the dressing selection most days had 1000 island, Blue cheese, and italian. so you might think that because it was a buffet that the formal served dinners would be better they were not the first night we were greeted by our waiter with are you ready to order, we had not even had water service or offered anything to drink. The table was about 30 inches around for the 4 of us to sit at. We did ask to move to a larger table and the waiter informed be that I would have to go up to see the dining room manager. We were allowed to move to another table and that table was fine. The menu was not true we order a dish that said was chicken breast and they served chicken legs and thighs. The fruit appetizer was to be infused with mint syrup and all we received was 3 slices of melon. The tuna tarlett was nothing more that tuna salad in a mini pie shell. Many of the sauces were the same as if they made 1 huge batch for the week and put it on everything. I spoke with the dining room manager to let him know that I was disappointed with the food quality and it was the worst that I had on any cruise ship, he responded with it is hard to cook for 3000 guests. We did find the lunch buffet had pizza and thought that would be safe but the discription of pizza was with cheese and sausage but was really pizza with cheese and slices of hot dogs left over from the day before. We did have some beverages on the deck and even the drinks were not good. The margarita was made with lemon juice and we tried to get a b52 as a drink mixed with cream and was told they could not do that because they did not have cream. Then after asking again the said they could make it with milk we said that would be fine. We enjoyed the drink until we got the bill and they charge extra for the milk. We did complain to the bar manager and he removed the addtional charge. I thought a glass of port wine would be nice one evening after dinner and much to my suprise the five dollar glass of port was on a 1.5 ounce shot. I did send the drink back. But all in all we did have a good time and it was nice to get away. We do travel on vacation every January and most of the time it is on a cruise. I would hate for somebody to take their saving and call this thier dream vacation only to be disappointed in the quality of the food, service and entertainment staff on this cruise line.

Pros: The Big Shows

Cons: Food and Service

Recommends MSC Orchestra? No.

Very bland and over cooked. Odd selections and not good at all. Although the creme brulee was very good as well as the ice creams.
Some things for the kids but not like the other ships a few games and prizes.
The staff for the most part did not go out of thier way for the guest. I asked for more water at diner from the bar server and she said that she did not do that on bar drinks. I asked for a pen to fill out an early check out for at the front desk and she said no it is the only one I have you have one in you stateroom. We allways had to ask for water refils at diner and for more bread. I asked for large cups in the buffet dining room and I was told that if the guest would not take them to their staterooms then the would have large cups and that they just don't have the storage for that many cups on the ship.
The Big Shows in the theather were very good but you were not allowed to bring in beverages to the theather. The Cruise director and his staff were unprofessional and unorganized and thier activies were disappointing.
Very Nice and Clean as a New ship should be. But very congested in many public areas and you have to go through a lot of smoking areas
Don't expect any fancy extras in the room like a clock or towel foldings or chocolates at the end of the day. However you did get a bowl of fresh fruit.