Nickle and Dimed

Monarch of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Sail Date: December 01, 2012
Ship: Monarch of the Seas
The ship is a little oddly designed. Sitting down in the jade cafe you have a bar obstructing your vision outside. It's like that too for the theater. Not a heck of a lot to do in terms of the number of shows and especially things for kids.

Food was good and the wait staff attentive, but if you want high end lobster or steak you are paying extra, around $25 per plate. It is NOT like that on Carnival. The Maitre'd was a dope...I really don't care about Mumbai and you couldn't get the hint that I was not interested. I got the same from a busboy who had to tell me that he had an MBA...I don't care and I didn't ask.

Not much to do. The rockclimbing wall is cool but way crowded. If you think there is a wave pool, a zip line or an ice skating rink based on RC's website you would be sadly mistaken. VERY small gym that was packed. The shows and the cruise director bingbongmarc were good, but there were really too few of them to hold your attention.

Nothing the kids wanted to do.,

Steward and waiter were the exception and were quite nice. No one else was willing to go out of their way for anything. They seemed to be constantly putting you off to someone else or not answering your question. Very disappointed, particularly in the guest services who didn't understand things like, is there a football game on. The sales staff were also ridiculous with the ship's rules. For example, there was a watch sale and they had 100 or so boxes of watches out in front of the store. While taking a moment to actually just look at the watches, was told we could not look at them until the unveiling...just absurd rules, like following my 20 year old around and sniffing his drink for booze. They also go the bill wrong and wouldn't let me off the ship for $20 and gave us the wrong bottle of alcohol from duty free. Coco Cay was missed because of weather but the staff would not tell us the forecast the day before. I am glad I snorkeled in Nassau instead of waiting. Still don't know why.

Was okay.

Pros: Food was good

Cons: Staff was really unfriendly

Recommends Monarch of the Seas? No.