Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

My introduction to cruising

Sail Date: August 01, 2012

Having not sailed in over 20 years this ship seemed large to me. I was surprised to find out the boat was over 20 years old. I found it clean and adequately maintained. The layout was easy to learn and navigate. I was initially concerned about if there would be enough activities to do on the ship, but I was pleasantly surprised at the number of activities made available. The check-in and departure was easier than I expected. One negative issue was that, at times, the whole aft end of the ship would vibrate noticeably. This was a problem at times, but happened rarely.

Pros: Snorkeling in Coco Cay

Cons: Everything about breakfast

Recommends Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED)? Yes!

I was disappointed in the food. Overall it was good\, but nothing to get overly excited for. The buffet was average\, the breakfast was disappointing with dinner in the dining room being the best meal. I just expected more.
For a first time cruiser I liked the size and layout. Ship was clean and maintained and the entertainment and gathering areas were pleasing. The stateroom areas\, especially the lower decks\, has an institutional look to them.
I had a junior suite\, which I thought was large enough for my needs with a decent balcony and view. My kids were on deck 2 inside. When I went down to look at the room I was surprised at the institutional feel of the deck and got lost trying to find their room.
This was home run or strike out. The cabin attendant\, dinner waiters and housekeeping staff were outstanding. The breakfast staff\, bar staff and at least one girl working the pizza counter were poor at best. I was shocked at the difference in the level of service between the outstanding and poor.
The sushi making class with the chef was the best activity by far. The additional charge is offset by the sheer amount of sushi you make\, eat and take back to your cabin for later. Lots to do on and off ship.\" Big production\" shows were average.