Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Beware of booking Shore Excursions here.

Sail Date: February 06, 2012

My family and I are extremely disappointed in our Shore Excursion in Nassau (Blue Lagoon Beach). A complete mess. We felt taken, without guidance whatsoever, and my wife was in tears. To begin with, we found that we (my family of 3 had overpaid by $60 the price of this excursion compared to the same one RCCL offered) We did not know we were not purchasing an RCCL product, by using American Airlines. We then read that we had to be at a "Paradise Island" Ferry dock at 830am! We did not know where this was. The side door of the ship doesn't even open till 8am. We stood in a long line at the ships shore excursion desk, (which didn't open till 8am) for further instructions, only to find that RCCL had nothing to do with this excursion and it was a 3rd party travel company (Shore Excursions Group, Weston,FL) that American Airlines website had booked!
We then had to RUN through the port to find a cab to get us to this ferry, which we later found was several miles away. My family had not even time to eat breakfast! The cab (which I had to pay $17 for) promised us we would make it to the 8:30 ferry. Just our luck, the cab arrived too late, and after RUNNING to get the ferry tickets we missed it by 6 minutes. Very angry, what a mess.
Another ferry came by to take workers to the island, the ferry captain said they would take us there, however the lady at the ferry office told us not to take it, and it was going somewhere else. She was wrong, another missed opportunity, and we missed that one too. Very angry again. The next ferry didn't arrive until 1030am!
My 5 year was without breakfast through all this, and so we spent the next hour in a coffee shop eating on Paradise Island, which I could have gotten for free on the ship had I stayed there and not listened to the taxi cab driver in the first place. We finally made it to the island and had a pleasant day there after taking the 1030 am ferry. This excursion was a mess. We then found out on our return, that the the RCCL shore excursion doesn't even use a cab (to paradise island) and the ferry takes you to/from the ship directly! Very angry again we felt taken and abused. I am extremely dissapointed and want to escalate this as far as possible, and unfortunatly cannot recommend American Airlines as a travel agent.
Why was this excursion so early? In order to have breakfast, and get a cab, you would be waking up at 630 am to accomplish this! Why did I pay $60 more for this? Where did this money go? Why did I have to catch (and pay for) a cab to a far away ferry dock, when RCCL provides a ferry directly shipside at 1030am? This is supposed to be a fun vacation and NOT how shore excursions are supposed to work. I am eager for a response, thanks for reading this.

Pros: The ship, waiters, room attentant, and Coco Cay island

Cons: AAL Booked Shore Excursion (Blue Lagoon Beach)

Recommends Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED)? Yes!

Our child loved the pullman bunk bed
Excellent staff on board the ship