Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Not a great first impression...

Sail Date: May 02, 2011

We were so excited to get away with no children, no husbands and no work. Just me and my best friend spending good time together. Our cabin was nice and clean. But it was that first night that we realized we had a big problem. The AC was broke. It was so hot at night that we both woke with migraines. 2nd day we called housekeeping who passed us to maintenance. They said they would come check. Way later that day someone came to look at the unit in the ceiling. Informed us the ship was going into dry dock after our cruise and they would fix it then. Until then, he said they would try to adjust the computers.
That night at around 10pm we couldn't take the heat any longer and called the front desk. They said they could move us to another cabin. But it wouldn't be until the next day. Unless we wanted to move ourselves. If you realize how much 2 women can pack into a 5 day cruise and then unpack all of that into a very small tight cabin, the idea of packing all that up and moving at 10pm was not a good one. Told front desk we would move the next day.
Next day we called front desk to be told that the offer of another room was withdrawn. They were going to try to fix the AC. That night, after sweating and having headaches for the last 3 days we were feeling pretty negative about this cruise and Roayl Caribbean. We went to eat, watched a show and when we came back to our room we found a note under our door from the front desk wanting us to call. We called and the lady wanted to know why we didn't take the other cabin offered? I explained that the guy had told us that the offer was withdrawn. She said that that guy didn't know what he was talking about, that he was filling in for someone else. That indeed another cabin was available, but inside, not outside. I can't sleep in an inside cabin, so we declined that offer, our steward kindly offered us his own personal fan from his cabin and we plugged that in and tried to sleep. Next day we had a letter under our door saying that Royal caribbean was very sorry for our situation and they would like to offer us 25% off our next cruise, booked within a year.
I recieved that voucher in the mail yesterday. It is for $75 off our next cruise booked within a year. Not 25%. It was 25% off the cruise we just took. I feel like for a cruise line with the reputation of excellence that RC has to offer such a small compensation for what obviously ruined our one vacation was just very dissappointing. Last vacation I took without husband our children was 5 years ago. This was a big deal.

Pros: Like all cruises, there are a few people who just make the trip enjoyable. Amit was our head Waiter. He was fabulous. Our room steward was Bryce, who bent over backwards to make our trip good.

Cons: Well, I have cruised before but my friend had never cruised before. This was a bad first impression. It seemed like the cruiseline could have done more to make it right for us. Very disappointed.

Recommends Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED)? No.

Upon arriving at the dock, the bus driver handed our bags over to the guy who took our bags, turned, and put them into a large container. We tipped the driver for bringing us. I didn't feel that the bag guy really did anything to warrant a tip. As we walked away he hollered at us "You don't have any love for your bag boy?!" I was very embarrassed and walked back over to him to give him a few dollars to which he then didn't even say thank you.
First lunch at the buffet, our server was so rude, we only ate there one other time...
Oh, and the photo people were extremely aggressive if you say no. I was actually grabbed and yanked by the pirate guy at Nassau. I didn't want to buy the pictures so why waste the cruise lines money in printing them? Very rude about it.
No lobster.
See above...
Great juggling show. And the Quest was funny.
It was ok. Don't really like Nassau. Atlantis is fun.
Cococay (Cruiseline's Private Island)
The snorkeling was disappointing unless you went out really deep. The guide that told us about wearing the vests and how to get the lifeguards to help us didn't mention ONE time to not step on the reef or touch it.