Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Fun 1st Time Cruise

Sail Date: April 18, 2011

Cruised in April 2011 with my husband and 2 kids (13 & 16). I had read earlier reviews saying that this ship was dated. I have to say that while I have never been on any other cruise ship, this ship is very clean, comfortable and well-maintained. The food was great, the entertainment director was talented and funny, and the shows we saw were fabulous. There seemed to be a variety of ages represented, and not once did it feel crowded even though there were over 2,000 passengers on board. We left this cruise wanting more, and already talking about when we can go again.

Pros: Food & Entertainment were excellent

Cons: Sometimes only 1 pool was open at a time. Kind of inconvenient, especially for our full day at sea

Recommends Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED)? Yes!

My kids (13 & 16) got struck with the shy bug, and wouldn't take part in any of the age-appropriate scheduled activities. They did however use the pool, ping-pong table and see the shows, and enjoy the live music.
Any staff we came in contact with was friendly and courteous. Our assistant waiter - who said to call him Ben, but I know that was not his real name - was amazing!! If I could remember his proper name I would write to RC to get him some special recognition. He made our dining experience exceptional.
While on the ship we saw 2 comedy shows, a "game show" and a magician. We also enjoyed plenty of live music. Each show was enjoyed by all. The only reason I gave it a rating of 4 instead of 5 was because one of the late night comedy shows was a little risque, even though it was billed as family friendly. Just something to keep in mind. I know some of it went over my 13 year old's head, but it's just something someone with young kids should consider.
The Monarch is supposedly the smallest in the fleet, but really doesn't feel small or crowded. Yes, there were people everywhere, but I found the size of the ship just right. And, in fact, found out today that there were parts I never even saw!
Awesome, awesome, awesome! The buffet in the Windjammer never disappointed. The amount of choices available insured that everyone walked away with a full stomach. The evening dining was to die for! The meals were fantastic - even for my finicky teens! And I can't say enough nice things about the waitstaff. Friendly, accomodating and always going above and beyond!
Yes, they are small. Definately. But - how much time do you really spend in them? The rooms are clean, and always smelled fresh (something that is a personal pet peeve of mine). The beds were comfortable, and the rooms were very quiet. I was never disturbed at all by noise in the hall or any adjoining rooms. Showers were hot and the water pressure was perfect.
Atlantis - extremely costly. We were told the waterpark was sold out, so we booked a room at the resort for actually less than the excursion would have cost, and with it got admission anyway. It didn't matter - while an absolutely beautiful place, there really isn't much to the water park as far as slides and water rides. Lots and lots of pools, but just two tube rides and three slides. Orlando definately knows how to do waterparks better than Atlantis. Glad we tried it, but would not do it again. Another thing that was disappointing at this port - everything closes so early. Atlantis closed around 6pm. I had wanted to visit the Straw Market and THAT closed at 6pm. We were at this port until 11pm, but there was nothing to do. Luckily a few shops were closing at 8pm so we got to buy a few souvenirs. RC should put this information in their descriptions so we could've planned better.
Don't Miss: Not sure as we only did one thing... feel like I missed out on more of the island
Cococay (Cruiseline's Private Island)
Beatiful RC island. We souvenir shopped in the market, went on the water toys in the ocean, and parasailed. The inflatables in the ocean were fun, but one hour goes by fast. We purchased tickets to the giant water slide, but only my husband and I went down it once. Not really worth the money. The parasailing was fantastic and everyone should try it! I wish we had more time at this port instead of Nassau.
Don't Miss: Parasailing