Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Fabulous long weekend!

Sail Date: September 17, 2010

This being my first cruise, I didn't know what to expect. We booked the trip and then read on line that it was an older ship and not as modern. DON'T let that deter you!! This ship was spotless, everything was comfortable- from the bed to the seating in the lounge-- it was very well maintained and, in my estimation, above what I was expecting after reading some of the reviews. If this is "older", I guess I'd be blown away by what the new ships look like. I thought it was amazing.

Pros: Everything!!! It was my first cruise and it was something I will definitely be doing again!

Cons: Not really a "con" because it's no one's fault, but I would have liked to have seen Coco Cay, but due to the weather, they had to change our itinerary. It worked out having the extra time in Nassau though.

Recommends Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED)? Yes!

The food was not bad---but I need to say that we are not big eaters. This vacation wasn't about the food to us-- don't laugh, I've heard that to some, that is the single reason they cruise! The dinners each night were lovely and the food was very good. I can't complain-- I ate steak & seafood every night. The breakfast buffet was huge and I can't comment too much on lunch because we ate off the ship each day. There was certainly enough to grab and go. I thought they did an impressive spread the night of the party on the pool deck also.
We were very happy with our accommodations, although next time I'd probably spend the additional money to have a balcony.
Very comfy bed, bathroom was a little tight for two people but we worked around that- very adequate sized room for us.
I can't say enough about the staff. They were friendly, courteous, interested in our stories, helpful, attentive-- they were even smiling while they were trying to get all of us to disembark 1 1/2 hours later than we should have due to weather, knowing they would have a full ship again in just a few hours! They were outstanding---especially RAY, who took care of us in the 9000 hall and made the great animal towel art every night!! YOU ROCK!!
Like I said.....only my first cruise so I have nothing to compare it to, but they sure know how to party and mix drinks on that boat!! My husband and brother in law will never live down that party on the pool deck on Saturday night. Terrific cruise director & staff got everyone going and the DJ was tremendous. That one will be hard to top!
Atlantis was beautiful---VERY expensive to do anything there, but it was worth going over to see the grounds and the inside of the hotel. Snorkeling w/ the Bahama Dive Shop was wonderful.....they were very accommodating and patient w/ all the different skill levels on the boat. I would highly recommend that! Straw market was neat-- very crowded though because 5 ships had to dock due to weather. Senor Frogs was fun-- hold your breath with those taxi drivers!!