A so-so trip

Monarch of the Seas Cruise Review to Mexico

Sail Date: December 01, 2006
Ship: Monarch of the Seas
Over all we were extremely disappointed with this cruise. In 1977, another couple and my wife and I had the pleasure of cruising the Caribbean on one of the old Sitmar ships. The highlight of the event was the gala New Year's Eve party. In addition to dancing to a fantastic group, we particiapted in a costume competion. Although we didn't win, it was certainly a lot of fun, and we got to meet many of the passengers afterwards, probably due to our theme: We went as "The Planet of the Apes Football team"--wife in a cheerleaders outfit, me in off-road motorcyle leathers and a full Gorilla mask.

Aside from some lounge parties and the balloon drop in the Centrum, the night was BORING!

Another issue is that when compared to the other trips on RCL, over-all, the staff wasn't as spontaneously friendly : Our dining staff was good, but the other crew members were lack luster. . .In 2002 we took the Panama Canal cruise from LA to New Orleans. Right from the get go, the trip was in trouble due to an inoperative engine, which the Captain knew was going to be a problem as it had failed on the voyage from Hawaii. Because of this, we were stuck in Acapulco for 2 days inorder to the repairs to be made. Mechanical breakdowns happen, but I critisized the company for disembarking with an ailing vessel--which caused us to miss Costa Rica, the port of call we wanted to visit the most. Be that as it may, but not for the dynamite crew--at every level--that trek would have been the "Cruise from Hell" in my mind! On a scale from 1-10, I give this one a 4.

Pros: Not much, compared to our other crusies with RCL

Cons: We expected a BIG New's Eve party, but save for some activity in the bars, the evening was very disappointing!

Recommends Monarch of the Seas? No.