Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review

We cleared our checkpoints, etc., and were on the ship by 12 o'clock. My wife and I walked in and as we entered the ship, let out an "Oh my God - look at this place!" I will never forget one of the purser's saying, "I like to see the reaction of first time cruisers." I think we made her day as we were like two kids in a candy shop. Well, we went to the Windjammer Cafe to have lunch and the food was very good. We have looked at so many reviews and saw a lot of bad reviews on the food, but it was not bad at all. Then we went to see our cabin which I had decorated for a surprise for my wife, and it looked great. We had all day so we looked all around the ship, and let me tell you, all my research still was not enough as I felt lost many times as it is a big ship. We set sail and there was a sail away party on the pool deck, which was a blast. Our luggage came after a short while and it was a perfect start (except the weather was cold). Dinner and the comedy show of Burt Leigh were fantastic. Our waiter and assistant waiter were wonderful. We sat in the front row for the show and got semi-picked on. I have not laughed that hard in years and thanked him the following day for the great show. Day 2 was in Key West. This was very disappointing as the weather was cold and it was too early to enjoy anything. We did see the Hemingway House, which was a neat thing to see. Dinner was fantastic again and our waiter was such a blast. The entertainment was a production show called Starstruck and it was great. This was the roughest days at sea as we were in the end of a front that shook us up a little. I just had a few extra drinks and that was that. Day 3 was in Cozumel, Mexico. This turned out to be a nice day and the temperature was getting how the tropics should be - hot. We docked around 11am and cleared customs by 12pm so we went shopping as we took the Fury catamaran/snorkel/beach excursion at 2pm. This was a blast!!! We had never been snorkeling so this was new to us, but we had a great time with it. After we got out of the water we started to drink the free rum drinks and beer (I will be posting plenty of pictures). At the beach we took a kayak out and that was a lot of fun, then we were off to the hammocks with some drinks. We just enjoyed the time together relaxing in the hammock. That night, we had a Beatles tribute band perform and they sounded and looked GREAT !!! Dinner was once again fantastic and so were the waiters. Day 4 was in Costa Maya Mexico. We took the Chacchoben Mayan Ruin tour and was amazed with it. My wife and I find ancient ruins very interesting and this was a true experience to go there. It is a must see !!! After the ruins, we went snorkeling right off the pier and found that to be very nice. I have looked at a bunch of reviews about Costa Maya that were "not happy" with the port but we found it to be a fovorite for us. I thought it to be kind of like going to Gilligan's Island. That night was another production show called Fast Forward which was fantastic. Once again dinner and the waiters were fabulous. Day 5 was at sea. - This was my first day (& only day) that I slept late (8am). Every day I was up a 5am to shower and have coffee up on the Windjammer deck. We had breakfast and were off to the pool early to spend the day in the sun. It was HOT HOT HOT on Friday. They had a belly-flop contest which was very funny and my wife talked me into entering the men's sexy leg contest (I'm glad I didn't win as it was more of a goof than anything), but it was a ton of fun though. That night there was a comedian, singer, impressionist named Joey Van, who was great to watch. He had us laughing so hard we were crying. Of course, dinner and the waiters we fabulous again. That night after dinner we went to the casino and then packed up for the next day to go home. All in all, it was the best vacation we have ever taken.