Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review

This cruise was my favorite trip yet! I went with my girlfriend and two other couples we are friends with. We left on the 2-09-02 five-night cruise to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. We flew from New Orleans to Fort Lauderdale via Delta. Our only bad time during this week was DELTA. When we arrived our luggage was nowhere to be found. My girlfriend and I did not know what to do -- not to mention there were four other couples who could not find their luggage either! After two hours, Delta made an announcement to the cruise people waiting to find their bags to look on luggage belt three. All of a sudden five bags came out of the back on the belt -- all ours. Someone on Delta's staff informed me our luggage was just sitting out on the runway and an employee found it there. We were happy, but disgruntled, about them just sitting there on the runway! We finally got to the ship, and boy is she beautiful (2,000 passengers)! We got upgraded to a category I outside stateroom, which was small but enough hanging room. We were in 2004. Hernan was our very talented cabin steward, making rabbits, pigs, elephants, swans kissing and a monkey with our towels. The casino was nice and large, but with 2,000 people it was often hard to get on a table and the several times I did I wish I wouldn't have (blackjack idiots). The pool area was large enough to enjoy oneself. Best advice is to find a waiter and tip him a few bucks early. After that, you can't finish your drink before they come back asking if they can get you another! I especially recommend the International Belly flop contest. Dining room was roomy, and quite delightful! The food was outstanding and I am from the south and love my food. Our waiter was Rodney and the assistant waiter was Godwin. They make an excellent pair. There was always something to do on the ship. Often I wanted to do nothing and just got sun. I definitley recommend the Newly/not-so-newlywed game. This was hilarious and Richard, the cruise director, is only 25 and does such a great job! Bars and clubs stayed open till 3am but we often didn't last that long since we both would rather do most of our partying in the sun! Cozumel: We did the passion island adventure. They take you to a private island where there's volleyball, a long beautiful beach with crystal blue water. They have shops, and it is unlimited Corona and margaritas! That was fun! They even included a buffet of fresh blue marlin (out of this world), and bbq chicken (excellent), also chips and dip and stuff like that. This trip is kind of pricey but lasts 5 hours and the time did fly, but worth the experience. Grand Cayman: We decided to go off on our own. We are beach people and wanted just that. My girlfriend's parents recommended we just take a cab to the Hyatt and use their facilities. We arrived to the beach around 10 and we did just that but once we got to the Hyatt they picked us out right away without our HOT PINK armband and booted us. We walked next door and paid $5pp for a beach chair and that was it. It may have cost $8pp for taxi and chair on the beautiful beach. Our friends decided to do the G.C. beach break ($18), and did not get to the beach until 12, two hours after us, and it wound up going to the same place. It costs us $10 less and we had two hours more than them. Deal if you ask me as they wasted two hours they were stuck in a bus trying to herd everyone there. We brought our own snorkeling equipment too, but there was a hut you could rent from and they had lots of water sports available there. I would recommend Royal Caribbean to everyone! I plan on making that my only cruise line for a very long time! Our only problem all week was because of DELTA. I will never fly them again. This was the second time in 6 months they lost my girlfriend's luggage and I know 2 other couples that have had their luggage lost in the past 6 months.