Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

experienced cruiser with bad experience

Sail Date: February 01, 2010

I've done several cruises with RC and been impressed but did NOT have a good experience on this ship. It is in poor condition and way overdue for an overhaul. I had ash dumped on my head from the smokestacks and then customer service billed me for the laundry. And there was no hot water in my room the entire cruise- made for miserable cold showers, and they refused to move me despite complaints and multiple visits by repairmen. Following my cruise I complained again but didn't receive the courtesy of a response to either paper letter or email. If you want a good cruise, go with one of the newer ships. And if you expect any sort of customer service, stay away from RC all together- I had a great time on 2 different disney cruises.

Pros: food

Cons: customer service poor and condition of ship

Recommends Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED)? No.

See my review. Horrible condition. No hot water, ash all over deck from smokestacks. I would NEVER EVER sail on Monarch again, not even if I got a free coupon to go. TOTALLY not worth even the most discounted rate.
Good food and fantastic variety. Really the biggest plus on this ship.
Again, I would expect at least a hot shower. I've gotten even that in third world countries I've visited!
Our room attendant was nice. Our waiter was fantastic. The men at the bar selling drinks were pushy but hysterical and kept us laughing. That's about it. The towel guy wouldn't accept our towel return after a late night swim on the last night, and we were billed $40! Had to try a second time to return them on the departure morning, waiting in line over 30 minutes.
Same as on other cruises I've been on. The music was good, especially at the piano bar.
My 13 year old played some basketball. Nothing really super organized but she made some friends. In fact, one of the friends she made, she had to go to her room to take a shower when our water was busted. That was embarrassing...