Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Not sure if I will cruise again

Sail Date: February 01, 2010

This was my first cruise, so I don't have anything to compare it to. However, fellow "cruisers" who had been on other trips were disappointed and encouraged us not to give up on cruising based on this experience. I was really claustrophobic in the room, particularly the bathroom. The food was nothing spectacular, and at times, was downright disgusting. The service was great, and we enjoyed our trip to Nassau and Coco Cay.

Pros: Customer service, price, itinerary

Cons: Cabin size, food quality

Recommends Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED)? No.

The food quality was so-so at best. Had to pay an additional $15 for filet mignon, but it was the only food I had all weekend that I would consider restaurant quality. Wish I had done the anytime dining, which requires pre-paid gratuity. Otherwise, the dinner seating times were either 5:45 (too early) or 8:00 (too late... for me anyway!). We ended up skipping the formal night, because it was scheduled for our night on Nassau, and it didn't give us enougb time to get back.
Definitely an older but clean ship. It was the perfect size...not so large that you get lost. However, not enough elevators made navigating the ship take longer than it should have. We typically took the stairs, but the unavailability of elevators during key times would be a problem for persons with limited mobility.
The bathroom was extremely small and old. I'm not a big person, but the shower stall was absolutely uncomfortable and claustrophobic. The stateroom staff did a great job of keeping the place tidy and liveable, but it was tiny. The beds were very comfortable.
I booked an excursion to Atlantis through Royal Caribbean, which was a great trip, but very disorganized. CocoCay, the ship's private island, was very nice.
The service was exceptional. I never had to ask for a refill on my drink; it was always offered before I had time to ask. The stateroom staff did a great job of keeping our room neat and orderly.