Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Mexico

A disappointment.

Sail Date: December 03, 2007

Lacking in many regards. We love to play Scrabble on cruises. They didn't have the game, said passengers steal it! The library was tiny and open to the rest of the deck, so not quiet. Poor selection of books. The food, entertainment, reading and board games are what makes a cruise for us. Not terrible but there are too many other choices, even on the same cruise line, for us to choose this ship again.

Pros: Bargain Price.

Cons: Poor library.

Recommends Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED)? Yes!

Ordinary breakfast with no special menu features. Paper thin bacon I don't think any supermarket would sell. On 4 day cruise dining room for lunch only open one day. Buffet undistinguished, food not real hot, often dry. Dinner menu quite good but probably the worst of our 10 cruises. On some other cruises after dinner cappucino has been no charge. Not on this cruise! We did get good Mai Tais on 4 days for $5, cheap by cruise standards. I had to go find the waitress on two nights in order to get service.
Tiny outside stateroom on deck 2. Not a problem if everything else up to snuff.
The first and second night there was only one entertainment showing. It was at 10pm. That is too late for us. There is usually a crush for seats in the cruise theater I wonder what it is like with only one showing. The third night two showings but we passed. Fourth night the usual energetic song and dance routines. We enjoyed it but I rated it about the level of a good high school performance.
We asked our cabin attendant to remove the mini bar items (water and soda). He hid them in one of the cupboards. When asked again to remove them from the cabin so there was no question we had not used them he "didn't understand". On my final bill we had a $4.58 mini bar charge. I called guest relations who could have taken it off by phone but they wouldn't unless I went up and stood in line. This is always specially tedious on disembarkation morning. When I reached the desk I was told It would not be on my credit card statement. The clerk was polite and quick but did not apologise for or explain my having to wait in line when asked.
Catalina Island, California
Interesting to see but again familiar to us so we stayed on board.
San Diego, California
We love San Diego. Loads of good Gaslamp restaurants within walking distance and fun mall at Horton Plaza. Easy to find tours, many can be booked at Horton Plaza rather than on board. We know the town well so just enjoyed a long walk. Sea Port good shopping and more tours. Easy bus access by bus from shipside to Old Town where there are many good restaurants (mostly Mexican), good shopping and fun to walk around.
Ensenada, Mexico
The main shopping area is an easy, pleasant, walk through. The shops are largely repetative touristy low quality. The prices did not seem that good, perhaps the weak dollar, perhaps better off the main drag. The high quality stores seemed not much if at all cheaper than the US. I did save 3 or 4 dollars on a bottle of Azteca brandy and my wife bought a beautiful locally made shawl in a "fixed price" store. The price was reduced from 50 to 48 dollars when we asked. Not cheap but we probably couldn't have found it Stateside and were pleased with it. Didn't do any tours but again they are easy to find on shore. We have been pleased with that strategy on prior Mexican cruises.
Ensenada, Mexico
San Diego, California
Catalina Island, California
Interesting to see but again familiar to us so we stayed on board.