Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Hospitality Cruise Lines

Sail Date: January 01, 2010

The ship was built in 1991 and renovated around 2003. It was in very good shape for its age and use by hundreds of people. I would rate the appearance as between good and very good. I found the small rooms and beds comfortable. The subtle and occasional ship rocking and light squeaks soothed me to sleep. Others felt this sensation was distracting. I would not give it a second thought. The ship was clean. The carpet had stains here and there. I find that hard to avoid when people spill things like coffee, and I saw one child drop his ice cream. Smoking was limited. I am a non-smoker. I know smoking was limited to the casino and starboard side of deck seven on the outside. You will find a few other smoking areas, such as a section of the open pool deck.

Pros: The food was varied to all tastes, fresh, and exceptionally good. I had to work off all my sinful eating temptations in the gym. The processing in and out of the ship was outstanding for the size and population of the ship. I was impressed how short it was, for how long it could have been.

Cons: As a gym user, the biggest setback was inoperative gym equipment. Perhaps one of four or five machines were down for maintenance throughout the trip. More working machines were needed, especially during the busier workout periods in the day. Gym hours were also limited from 0600 to 2200 hours.

Recommends Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED)? Yes!

Ship cleanliness was above average. I noticed crew members picking up the smallest pieces of paper found on an outer deck. The crew seemed very trained and regimented with the policy of the cruise line.
Ship staff were the friendliest and most helpful you will find anywhere. The tried to solve all your problems if they could. We had some dining room seating problems. They fixed that and every other little problem or inconvenience I had. I was impressed. The staff seemed to be trained to smile and make conversation with you, not ignore you. The training was a success in my eyes.
Space on a ship is expected to be limited. Large people will have the biggest problem. My average size had no difficulty with the bed size or narrow shower (no bathtub). The room is narrow. That is no surprise on any ship. One large person could be heard snoring through the walls. When his girth rolled up against the wall, the wall panels bulged out and even popped a wall seam.
The ship has enough to keep you busy. There were casinos, spas, theaters, gym equipment, sewing and game rooms, all kinds of classes, rock climbing, pools, bars, more food, and so much more. I was not bored, then again, I did not stay in my room.
The varied activities suited all ages. As mentioned, too much of the gym equipment was not working. My treadmill sensor indicated that it needed a wax refill to run. Gym attendants were absent most of the time. I had no one to tell. Safety was emphasized throughout the ship.
The quality of the food was exceptional. There was no food between 0200 and 0600 hours, although available through room service for an extra charge during these exclusive hours. Coffee was always available at the cafe. The dining was superb. Waiting staff treated customers' desires and needs like royalty.