A Relaxing 4-Night Get-Away

Monarch of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Sail Date: July 01, 2009
Having never gone on a cruise, my husband and I decided to "test the waters" so to speak, with a 4 night cruise. My fears of seasickness, boredom, etc. were unfounded. We easily could have stayed another few nights and are already thinking about our next cruise with our teenaged daughter. I like the variety of people that gravitate to Royal Caribean: young, middle-aged, older -- and people from all parts of the country representing a good mix of black, white, Hispanic, Asian and more!

The food was fine: not wonderful, gourmet fare, but tasty, decent and varied (though I suggest you avoid the salmon and grilled chicken on the regular menu.) We had dinner in Claude's and b'fast & lunch in the Windjammer, the ship's help-yourself buffet. One morning, we decided to try the dining room for b'fast, and quickly realized the Windjammer is a better choice.

Cruise director Jimmy Rhodes had a lively staff of entertainers who oversaw a variety of activities. The comedians were funny. The singers/dancers were typical of what one would expect on a ship, with the exception of Kiki, a talented woman who should be on Broadway.

The staff -- particuarly the dining room staff and our steward, Ruben-- was incredibly attentive. Captain Karin from Norway, the only female captain in the fleet, was gracious and competent. (As an FYI, I did resent the boat's shopping consultant, who apparently has an interest in Nassau's Diamonds International: a shop you may want to google for client reviews, before buying anything there.....)

While not new, Monarch is nice looking and well maintained.

We opted for a larger room -- #9010 -- with a partially obstructed view (to keep down costs.) It was great! Spacious, comfortable -- and a wonderful view of the sea.

Pros: Attentive Staff, Relaxing Trip ... and Fun!

Cons: The smokers' deck -- but I guess the ship accommodates all people

Recommends Monarch of the Seas? Yes!