Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Mexico

Nice Family Cruise

Sail Date: January 12, 2007

Room Type: Suite

Well let me start by saying I booked this cruise last minute and paid much more than I wanted to. I was not to happy about this but once on the ship I was okay with it. Our stateroom was a 2 bedroom since we were traveling with young ones. This was great. The kids program was on the same floor which was another plus although the program itself was just okay for my older one (10). I was very shocked to see that they charged for cokes, ice cream from the Ben and Jerrys, and especially for food, yes I said food. They had a sushi place which my son loves but they charged for it. What's up with charges for food? I also found compared to other ships there wasn't much in the way of on board activities and or entertainment. We went to 3 shows, 2 were good but the headliner show we walked out on. It was a fun experience with the family but not what I expected since I have done quite a few cruises before.

Pros: Large room (family suite) Kid program for young ones, Classy ship, friendly staff

Cons: All the extra charges for FOOD! and COKES!! Not enough on board activities

Recommends Monarch of the Seas (RETIRED)? Yes!

Not a whole lot to do on board compared to others we have traveled on.
The ship was very clean and decorated nice.
The food and service was great. Our dining time was a late one so after waiting in line for an hour we had it changed the next night and it worked out fine. My other problem was that they charged for one of there restaurants and for cokes.
For my 4 and 7 year old girls it was great. My 10 year old son how ever did not care for it and he usually likes camps. Overall I think it was just okay, but it did kept them occupied so my husband and I could relax and enjoy the ship.
The stateroom was great. This was a first staying in a family suite and we will never stay in anything else now.
The staff was very good about keeping our 3 kids happy especially having chocolate milk brought to the room. (they did not have this from room service and that is my 4 year olds favorite..so our stewart made sure he found some for her)
Ensenada, Mexico
This was my 4th time here and 1st with my children. The people seemed a lot pushier this time. They would follow you and even offered "perscription" drugs in front of the kids.